new gibson bass? good..bad?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve-o, Dec 11, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
  2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    ok i see they changed it to a sg-z bass.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. I thought they didn't made those models anymore.
    I never played one, but the bass player from a local band around here plays one, and hisb ass sounds just great!:bassist:

If i could get a good deal on one of these basses, i'd get one (if i 'd have the money of course)
  4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    yes they are discountinued...*sigh

if anyone knows where one is please let us know!!!!

5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    (Dio ON: )
    Neck diver you've been down too long in the midnight sea...
    (Dio OFF: )
  6. Haha Excellent!

I saw him this summer in concert :)
  7. I saw Richard Jones of the Stereophonics use one on a UK TV appearance (basically because singer Kelly Jones uses SG's ,so Gibson are probably throwing every Gibson product going at them).
  8. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    They are beautiful, but they were a total flop.

A local store where I used to live got in two at the same time, when they first came out. Huge disappointment -- and I'm a longtime EB-0 owner and fan. They were thin and midrangy even with the humbuckers in series, no matter what amp. They sat for at least a year and the store finally sold one and dumped the other on eBay, it sold for less than half of list.

About 18 months later a friend from another bass forum loaned me his for several weeks, with the idea of possibly selling it. I was hoping the first two were flukes. But I was disappointed again. Nothing but nasal midrange through my Mesa stack. I returned it, and he later consigned his at a vintage store for $695 and it still took months to sell.

9. Thats dissapointing...I like the look of the basses:meh:
  10. Another bass adapted from a another guitar body by another guitar manufacturer that doesn't (or didn't) understand basses. It can't possibly work -- how are you supposed to balance that thing with that short upper horn?

IMO, it deserved to die the slow, horrible and painful death that it did....
  11. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    Well most original bass concepts end up looking like crap. Why is it guitars get the good designs?
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The neck/weight ratio are different on guitars, so they can do pretty much anything and not worry about neck dive, nor about "Tone" as we know it, since most guitar "tone" matters after distortion or at high gain levels.

They kinda get more freedom, that way.

At least, IMHO.
  13. Sad, but true.
  14. victobass

Nov 27, 2003
    I saw Dave Schools play an SG-Z with Govt Mule a couple years ago and it sounded pretty awesome. He also played a Gibson RD Artist Elite that night.
  15. It's a shame they flopped. I love EB-O style basses. (memories from my youth)

I think their list price was about $1,800 new, though I could be wrong. That's a lot of wood. I really wish Gibson's design team would sit down and really think out their next bass design. I know they could come up with a winner if they tried.

16. Well the P bass actually came first and very much inspired the body shape of the Strat.

I love the look of the SG body for both guitars and basses. I'd guess the short scale EB-3 and EB-0 balanced better, but some people hate short scale.

I wish Gibson would just make a quality SG body bass and keep it in the linup.
  17. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    The Deepest End DVD show's big dave playing the '78RD artist on "Blind man in the Dark" through woody's SVT--I love the tone he's got on that.

Dave plays a red SG-Z on "Thorazine Shuffle"--kind of hard to pick out the tone because jason newstead and george porter jr. are also playing on the song!

there are many interesting basses/bassists on that dvd--I like paul jackson w/ an esp and will lee w/ the woody sig. epiphone
  18. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    The strap button is in the middle, on the neck heel. It works very well as far as balance if the body isn't too light for the neck. That's always been a problem with SGs. But mine is longscale (EB-0L) and it doesn't neck dive, neither did the SG-Z I had on loan. Just depends.
  19. Inspired is fine. There's a difference between "being inspired by" and saving manufacturing costs by simply taking an existing guitar body, and slapping on different hardware and neck.

Fender basses wouldn't be what they are today if they had pulled that stunt.

I think Gibson makes some of the most beautiful acoustic guitars in the world. I FAR prefer Gibson acoustics over Martins.

I just don't care for their basses.