New Gibson basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gingerfish, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I see neck dive in your future.
  2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    The Continental V looks interesting but like all things Gibson, I have to assume they are overpriced.
  3. How come gibson make such excellent guitars and yet such indifferent basses?
  4. bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Because many guitarists are indifferent (or just plain ignorant) about bassists? :D
  5. Hmmm looks like they got some new basses in their line up. I wonder if they might actually be decent, or just plain suckage like Tbirds and Lp basses.

Actually believe it or not , Gibson used to make great basses. The old LPs, rippers, grabbers, and Tbirds were great basses, and the EB was famous among some classic players.
  6. Benavente

Aug 14, 2002

7. LOL :smug:
    It seems that some are excellent, and some... ok!

8. Gibson's been making some consistently excessively excellent guitars for the past 15 years or so.

The management's current strategy is alienating longtime dealers and customers- but that's neither here nor there.

Gibson has never really made a great, popular bass. They've made cool basses, but cool doesn't always translate into great sounding, great playing, well designed instruments.
  9. Ostur

Dec 21, 2004
    I agree, gibson makes nice guitars,but my experience with one of the new tBird basses and gibsons customer service,was enough to never to have anything to do with them again,their basses are just junk,when you pay that much for a bass it should be perfect in fit and finish,when I got mine(new) the hardware and finish were totally a mess,and it was a special order,so I could not return it and gibson didn't give a crap,I guess by now you know im bitter.
  10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Not in my experience and Ive handled many at Guitar Center.

There's some really sloppy work goin on in their factories.
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I like the Studio T-bird idea, but I think Gibson's gone overboard with a five string. Not to mention the Studios have one FUGLY headstock.

The LP Doublecut bass has offset cutouts, so it doesn't look like it's namesake, and the Continental reminds me vaguely of a Tobias, stretched a bit. Good to see they brought back the EB-3, but I'd much rather have an EB-3L. When's Gibson bringing those back, eh?
  12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    They should just drop basses except a limited historical line, EB 3's, EB 2's and maybe one Thunderbird. Then they could put some money into building a decent Tobias. It's amazing they own Stienberger, and Tobias and probably haven't put fifty cents into R & D in either one of those companies while they run them into the ground. Then they try to pass of this crap for premium dollars. They do make some great gutiars unfortunently they make some bad ones too.
  13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

I you are looking at the EB3 model, get the Epiphone Elite EB3. Those things are killer. They could go from thumpy, to trebly, to an awesome slap setting (that suprised the hell out of me) all by using your tones and the Varitone switch. Definitely a player's bass, no frills, no crap; just a ton of great tones available with changes in your right and left techinques
  14. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    From the workmanship I've seen on a few dozen Gibson guitars in the last month or 2, I'd rather kill myself than claim anything Gibson to be "excellent" these days. They're selling a name. That's about it.

I saw a $7000 Les Paul limited edition of some sort with binding that was coming undone, glue coming out of the joints, poor soldering in the electonics cavity, and sloppy fret dressing. I'd really not pay $700 for that guitar, let alone $7000. And this is just one example... there are a lot of them coming to dealers like this. Not to mention the fact that you have to place a ridiculous order to keep them as a product line in a dealership.

About their "new" basses... well, I hate all of them. The Continental V is the only one that wouldn't be ridiculously neck-heavy I'd imagine. But it looks very awkward. Like it was designed with poor proportions. The guy who plays bass for Sevendust uses a Gibson Les Paul bass and it sounds awesome IMO, but I wouldn't play one. The LP double cut looks goofy too.

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002

Gibson's a big ol' butthole with dreams of past grandeur.
  16. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Never been my bag I have to say, plus I 've never forgiven Gibson for what they did to Trace Elliott. Damaged a good name forever.
  17. I played on the Les Paul Standard while at the guitar store two days ago, it was nice... I think it was selling for around $500 not quite sure though.... Not a bad bass at all in my opinion I just personally don't like the color.... :bassist: :rollno:
  18. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    It looks like a cheap tbird version. It looks like a diet version of the Tbird.

BTW I like those new headstock.
  19. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Well.........expect things to get worse soon. Rumour has it that Guitar Center has purchased Gibson! This year at NAMM they dropped about half of their dealers. You think customer service and quality was bad up until now? :help: