Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEW GIG! HAIRSPRAY!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Oct 6, 2005.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I am so excited about this one!
    After auditioning amongst some very happening players, I have been blessed with the bass chair on the upcoming Vegas production of the Broadway musical "HAIRSPRAY'. Opens in Feb and should run AT LEAST 2 years.
    This is a huge deal for me! I get to play broadway pit bass ( very cool!) and hopefully enjoy an nice long run here at the Luxor in Vegas. I hope I can do some justice to my NYC counterpart, the incredible Francisco Centeno.
    The music is lots of fun covering everything from 50's style to some r&b and even funk styles. I am so happy to get this one. And I would like to openly give thanks to Almighty God for answering my prayers and all His daily blessings.
    So, when you come to Vegas, look for "HAIRSPRAY" at the Luxor, and you will hear little ol me playing from underneath the stage. Just wanted to share the good news- peace, Adrian

2. Congrats, Adrian, that's mad cool. :cool:

Mike :)

3. Andy On Bass

Andy On Bass

Sep 10, 2005
    England
    Great gig mate! Bet you'll have the time of your life, enjoy it and congratulations.

4. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    Now thats a good gig! congats.what was the audition process like?

5. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Very Cool, where is it playing at ? I soooo would like to be Trent Carlini's (sp?) bass player. His Dream King tribute was flat out awesome.

6. That must have been one hell of an audition process. What'd you have to do?

7. thats awesome!

8. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you'd joined a hair metal band or something. Sweet gig tho! good luck on that.

9. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    That's a great gig. Congratulations!

Marshall

10. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Cangrats Adrian! I am VERY happy for you.

Dan

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm interested in the audition process too.

12. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Thank goodness! It isn't what i thought. I saw the title and all I could think of was either glam rock or drag in a all girl group.

13. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    It is blessed, dear Adrian, so happy to hear about that, the dark was gone man! More Praise more Bass
    (cant wait to see the other monster bass you order... :bassist: )

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Congrats Adrian, When are they bringing the production to Detroit?

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    ok, i'll try to give a brief idea...
    my contact with the contractors come from his partnership with a producer who produced STORM, a production show i played in at Mandalay Bay ( that is why i moved to Vegas )
    having played in that show, they knew me from that.. so i get called for auditions for shows contracted and produced by them. I am fortunate to know them, they are really cool people.
    I was called in to audition for "Mamma Mia " - i came in second, which meant i stayed home while Chris Davis, a wonderful bassist , went to work everynight :crying: ;)
    I also auditioned for " We Will Rock You " , the final choice was up to Brian May and Roger Taylor from Queen- i did not get that call, later , when the bassist they hired did not work out, i was called back in, played with Brian, thought i had the gig, but...- Danny Miranda, who later did the Queen reunion tour does a killer job there...
    so when i got a call to audition for "Hairspray" i was very happy, but remembered that i struck out twice before
    i picked up the charts a couple of weeks ago, and a friend made me a copy of the soundtrack cd... i went over it a few times, but did not agonize about it this time. I went in with the attitude that, i came in without the gig, if i didn't get it, i did not lose anything, i came in without the gig, i left without the gig, right?
    they had auditions for 2-3 days. i was called in for the last day, i was the last bassist to audition, it just worked out that way.
    before we played down the first tune, the musical director from the Broadway show in NYC came up to me and told me " don't play the ink necessarily, go ahead and elaborate and put your stuff in, for example. this bass with 4 d quarter notes? i don't want to hear that, i want to hear what you do with that"- we talked about the great Francisco Centeno, who plays the NYC show, i had dug out his BP interview where he said he played the show like a r&b gig ... i figured "do or die" so i threw my bucket of bs licks here and there... after the first tune he said " that's cool, that's what i am asking for, do it again for this tune "- the tune was more uptempo, shuffle "Charleston" kinda feel, so i played it kinda how i felt it, keeping with the written kicks and key rhythms, but using the chord symbols above the staff to help me with my "improvisations"- a riff here, a lick there-
    at one point , the md said " don't be afraid to play the upper register"- i replied "usually, if i do that, i get yelled at for overplaying!"- he cracked a hint of a smile... and said, don't worry, go for it-
    i did - i risked it- apparently it worked out fine! i just figured it wasn't the time to be shy. I would not usually play a lot like that, Mamma Mia, for instance , is all about reading the music PERFECTLY. Not one note more or less.. this show allows much more freedom.. cool.
    I got the call as i pulled up in my driveway... " third time's the charm, congratulations" the voice said.. i could not believe it. I still can't, it's a GREAT gig, very good pay, and comfortable- i wear what i want, sitting in a pit under the stage. Very nice...
    but the most important factor in this audition is not the playing. I TRULY believe the key thing was that I prayed and prayed about it, not for God to give me the gig, but for Him to bring me peace and understanding regardless of the outcome. So honestly, I don't give myself credit here, it was God's grace, absolutely. The gig could have gone to anyone, there were a few very good bassists going for this gig, any of them could do it well. I was just fortunate, and blessed this time.
    Anyone can do this, this does not put me above anyone... yes, i have to read music and it helps that i live , eat and sleep bass ( can't help it!)
    but any competent bassist can do this... it's about being pleasant to be around, being on time and taking your craft seriously.
    Hope that gives a little insight- peace!- Adrian

16. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Excellent!

Congratulations Adrian! Sounds like a cool gig! :)

17. Adrian

Fantastic news. Congratulations on getting this gig.

Regards

Matthew

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Great news, Adrian. I'd like to bust into the musical theatre scene eventually myself, had a lenghty call with one of the bass teachers at Humber College who I met when he was playing for Wicked in Toronto. Great guy, *great* bass parts in that show. If you ever have a chance to audition for a production of Wicked, do it. Great stuff.

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Awwww, man! I thought you found a new hairspray that works well for gigging. :(

Congrats!!!

brad cook

20. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Hey man, congratulations!!!
    You are so humble, i love it about it , you deserve to play this gig.
    Enjoy and good luck.

Adisu.