Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New gig with bad vocals...how bad of an idea?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by funktastic, Jan 17, 2006.

1. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    Hey everyone, I just recently got a call from a friend of mine at church who is looking for a replacement bassist for his band. The band is a older kind of metal band with some nu-metal roots in it, and really the musicians are decent. The drummer keeps decent timing and the guitarists aren't too caught up in their playing, the problem is the singer. This guy takes himself WAY too seriously, and his vocals are quite(understatement) off. He really wants me to join and play some shows with them, and i would like to play but the vocals are terrifying. I asked some of my friends about them and they all give me the "he can't sing" crap. My goal is to get in a band and start getting out into the music scene a bit and getting more gigs and whatnot. Would this be a bad move to join a band with a terrible singer with a goal like that? I know it sounds wrong of me to "use" them but it's not like that entirely, I like the guys and would enjoy playing with the other musicians...it's just the vocals are THAT bad.:help:

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Don't do it. 95 percent of your audience knows nothing of musicianship, but 99 percent of them will notice a bad vocalist.

3. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    +1

4. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    +2

5. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

What are your other prospects?

Do they have gigs?

The other guys might boot the singer sometime!

Oatmeal is better than no meal!

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

6. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Not every band is perfect nor is every band full ofthe exact members you might want.

Best of Luck,
    Weley R.

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    +10000

Don't say we didn't warn you.

8. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    Ok, i think my gut feeling is telling me it's a bad idea as well. If you want to hear a song or two of theirs, check out www.myspace.com/mercyaversion . I don't think i'm going to go through with it since they have only played like 3 shows ever...one being a talent show. But now i kinda have to think of a way to decline without bringing my friend down. boooo

9. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Don't do it, I'm in that very situation right now. It might work for a year or two, but eventually the bars won't want you back. I'm in a band with an admittingly horrible singer. He always said his "show" makes up for it. He is great at getting the crowd invovled, plus he is a good salesman at selling the band for gigs. But after 2 years of playing 1-2 wekends a month, we have no gigs until May because NO bar wants us back because of the bad vocals. And that's with a REALLY good, tight band, and a very good stage show.

10. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Amazing how they want the whole package, isn't it? And I'm sure they think it's easy, too... lol... :p

11. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    Well the thing is, we don't have bars and a whole big music scene. The only places to play are two or three little music clubs for local bands. The thing is, we are all only about 18 or so, so this band isn't a huge deal or anything. Let's say i played a show with them, and i was to book in with another band later down the road...would you be saying that the owner wouldn't book my band due to the band i was previously in?

12. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Don't do it.

The general bar going public doesn't know or care much about anything but the singer. Shoot, the rest of us could be invisible as long as our good looking - and talented - singer is there. If the signing is bad it doesn't matter how many great musicians are playing.

13. If you're all only about 18 or so, it's kind of different. Chances are you're still learning your instruments. If you enjoy the music and the other people in the band, I think you should go for it. However, if everyone agrees that the singer isn't very good, maybe you could suggest he take vocal training or lessons? Chances are, if he's only 18 too, he's still learning to use his voice properly.

He may never really get better, but chances are a band like this isn't going to last forever anyway. I think it's better to get experience playing with other people at your age then try to find the perfect band that's going to try to conquer the world, etc.

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    There's other bands out there, and even if you can't get into one immediately, they'll come along. Sometimes it pays to just wait it out. I'm in two bands right now with the same players, but two different chick singers. My main band has a great singer, but she's definitely built for comfort, not for speed, to put it politely. The other singer is twice her age, but looks good. She doesn't have half the voice, though. I'm thinking I'm gonna bow out on the second one. Nice to have the same musicians to work with, though. Let your heart be your guide on this one, and don't fall for guilt trips- ever.

15. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    When people hear a band with a bad singer, they don't usually think, "Man, that singer's really bad." They think, "That band sux, and I don't want to go see them ever again."

I have been in a band with a bad singer. It starts bad and gets worse. Someone who is in denial about their vocal skills is not likely to see their error. If he believes he's a good singer, then he will keep on singing. The bad singer I worked with, when people tried to give her constructive criticism, just convinced herself that all those people are just haters, and jealous. Um...no, honey, you sound like a cow in pain.

It was horrible. I could not even get my friends to come see us.

Don't do this! Find other people to play with.

Cherie