1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New GK 600, Ashdown Mag or Used Peavey Mark Series?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by r05c03, Apr 28, 2006.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Well, soon I will have the cash to buy a GK 600 Backline, an Ashdown MAG 300, or Peavey Mark III, IV, VIII (used from E-bay, the cheapest of the three). The Peavy Mark Series are very highly reviewed, as are the others. I am soliciting opinions as to which direction to plunk down some cash....

2. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    I was just gettng ready to post the same question (minus the peavey)!:smug:

I've been going back and forth with this for a couple of days now, and now I'm just stuck!

3. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    I'd stay away from the GK backline series. Peavey has a great rep for being reliable. Ashdown has a so-so rep for being reliable but you're buying new and can always return if it's defective. It's all personal preference.

4. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    +1 for any of the peavey's They are very reliable and you can get a good sound out of them.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    +1 for any GK with enough power for the job. I would like someone to tell me exactly what is wrong with the Backline 600. I have seen inside it. I have seen pictures of the innards of the Mag 300. To my biased eyes, the GK looks more robust, but indeed, construction is similar on both products. The BL600 uses the same power amp circuit as one of the Artist series heads.

Click on my sig to read my review of the Backline 600 head.

But I also think that Peavey makes great stuff.

6. I will vote for Ashdown. I have a Mag 300 Combo and I am more impressed with it everytime I play it live. I played a show last week from 9;30 TO 2:30 in the morning and the amp was cool to the touch. The tone is amazing. Mark Gooday is the main person at Ashdown and he used to be part owner and engineer for Trace Elliot and from what I read here and other web sites he stands behind his product(Great Customer Service).

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The GK BL600 is a good amp, especially for the price, and my own experience with it has been very good. fdeck's review is very helpful and informative. GK's realiability issues are long gone and they are building a rep for being dependable.