Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new GK 800rb question # 1,397.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    concerning the input jack for effects on the backside of the amp. it says it's pre boost and master.....so i guess boost and master don't effect the pedal. why would you want this? so i guess the effect will be hooked up by itself in the back and my bass will be connected to the front as usual. what is the point of this feature? what are the pros and cons?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The simple point of this is that you amplify the sound after all the tone changes and the effects - you do not plug the Spkr out into the pedal, would you :rolleyes:

It goes like this:

Bass -> GK: Gain, voicing, Eq section -> Effects Send -> Pedal -> Effects return -> Boost and Power amp section of your 800RB.
    Cant make it clearer than this ;) :p

3. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    what

4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    what what? :confused:
    Which part didnt you understand?

Now let me get this straight (or at least try to once again...)
    From your bass comes a low-voltage signal to the amp. In the preamp section of you 800RB, this signal is adjusted - this is the Eq section. Then, this signal goes optionally further to be processed, to the pedals. Then it returns to the amps power section, where this low-voltage signal is transformed to a higher voltage signal, to be able to drive the speakers.
    The Boost and Master are at the power section of the amp. This way, you adjust the overall volume.

Any more questions?

5. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    even though i've been playing for 13 years...amps are very very new to me....like 3 weeks new. i was also in an accident where the part of my brain that understands technical amp lingo was damaged beyond repair. :confused:

i've been using my mutron the standard way bass to pedal to amp. after reading my 800rb directions it seems like it's saying that you hook the pedal up by itself in the back of the amp and the bass hooks up by itself in the front. is that right? if not this thread is pointless.

concerning the input jack for effects on the backside of the amp.

does my bass hook up to the pedal? after reading the directions it seems like it doesn't.

so i guess the effect will be hooked or looped up by itself in the back of the amp and my bass will be connected to the front of the amp as usual? what is the point of this feature? what are the pros and cons?

it says it's pre boost and master.....so i guess boost and master don't effect the pedal? why would you want this?

6. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You can still use the old bass -> pedal -> amp setup, but you can also use the effects loop setup. This way, the eq'd sound of your bass will be processed by the pedals; with the first, the effects's sound would be eq'd. Not too much difference, but audible, though.

Think of the amp's preamp (eq section) as a pedal - you can put other pedals in front of it or after it. The signal from your bass goes through this unit, then on to the next unit; you dont hook up all fx pedals to your bass, but you hook one up and then hook all the others up to the first one.
    The effect is not hooked up by itself to the back of your amp - the signal from your bass goes through the amps eq section than goes to the effects.

The boost and master knobs are part of the power amp section of your amp. This is where that small signal from your bass, which then goes through the eq section and the pedals, is really amplified, to be able to drive a speaker enclosure.

Clearer now? ;)

7. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    disco :)

8. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI