New GK Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott Cutrer, May 26, 2001.

1. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Who has any of the new GK stuff that has come out in the last few years? Would like opinions!
  2. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    My new 1001RB is a really great amp with lots of power and a variety of available tonal variations. very compact too.

It has tube-like lows along with great mids and high end. The head has terrific punch and definition. It also has a presence control for ultra highs and a contour control for adjusting the "mid notch" tone for slapping.

I run two Eden 2-10 cabs with the GK's approximate 540 watts and it kicks.

Just my two cents. I've read alot about crappy GK quality, but I guess I've been lucky.

You can get a good deal at Musicians' Friend.
  3. hammong

Apr 11, 2001
    Sparks, Maryland
    I've had my G-K 1001RB/210 combo now for a couple of months, and I'm very happy with it.

I did have one "quality control" issue that G-K took care of VERY promptly, much to my satisfaction... One of the plastic "stacking corners" on the 210 cabinet was cracked. I sent them e-mail, and they sent me 2 x 90-degree pieces and 2 x 120-degree pieces for the back -- at no charge! That's great customer support in my book.

The amp sounds great - I leave it "flat" most of the time and use my Warwick Thumb-BO's active electronics to make most of the adjustments I need. The bi-amp control is nice, and the 1001RB seems very well matched to the 210RBH cabinet that comes with the combo.

I can run it HARD for an hour and it barely gets warm. I have no reason to expect it to break down under pressure.

4. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I had an old G-K 400RB that was a workhorse. I just ordered (and should receive it today) a scratch and dent 400RB from American Musical Suppy. I'll be using this head to drive an SWR Triad, which I'm leaving at a rehearsal space. I'll let you know, since I'll be in a rare group of people that's owned the same model in both the new and old versions.
  5. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a GK 700RB and i love it. Not enough power for me tho. I think im going to trade it in for a 1001RB :)
  6. Kip Martin

Kip Martin

Feb 28, 2001
    I'm on my sceond GK. my new one is a GK 400RB III And a GK 4x10 cab.I love it. it has just the sound I want from it.I've never tried anything I liked better.