1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New GK BL600/Neo112 Sound Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mgb71, Mar 11, 2009.

1. I just got my new GK Backline 600 amp and GK Neo112 cabinet yesterday - they sound fantastic. But when everything is turned on and I'm not playing there seems to be a very low level "hiss" coming out of the speaker. It sounds like "amplified air" if that makes any sense. This is my first real rig so I don't know if this is typical - I never noticed this sort of thing with my BL112 combo unless I turned the volume way up. Overall it's not a big deal and I can minimize this noise by adjusting the Level, Master, and Boost knobs. I was just wondering if this is normal.

On a side note, when I unpacked my BL600 I noticed a wire was pinched under the sheet metal enclosure, so I took the cover off and moved the wire out of the way. The wire was flattened out but the insulation was not broken so I'm sure it'll be ok. It isn't a big deal but it was a little dissappointing to see such an obvious manufacturing defect on a GK product, and it does make me wonder about the quality control in their China factory. I will give GK credit on their customer service however; I emailed them about the problem and received a response within about 20 minutes.

2. tom e smith

tom e smith

Jan 27, 2008
    Does your bass have single coil pups?

3. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    turning the tweeter down on the cab might be a good idea too.

I'm rather enjoying my GK Neo112 again after removing the tweeter fuses. no more hiss!

4. I play a MM Stingray, so no I don't have single coil pickups.

I was reading some other threads and it seems like the tweeter horn may be creating the hissing. I'll try turning down the tweeter on the cab and see if that helps.

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    If it's really quiet then its normal.

If it's obtrusively loud then you may have a problem. No amp is truly silent when idle, some are just louder than others.

6. It is really quiet, in fact I can only hear it if I'm sitting directly in front of the cabinet. If I'm off to one side or the other I don't notice it.

7. Sinclair

Sinclair

Nov 7, 2008
    Germany
    As already mentioned it should be the horn.
    I nearly turned it off on my Neo115, because for my taste it is way too loud (not the hiss, but the horn in general).
    Used my BL600 with an other manufacturers cab before and there has been noticeably less hiss. Maybe a matter of crossover design.

8. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Lets not forget the horns in GK Neo cabs are designed to work with the GK Horn Management System. The BL600 is not.

I get very little hiss with my 1001 biamped into the Neo, certainly no more than any other decent quality rig. So maybe it is indeed a feature of xover design. Everyone in this thread that has disliked the horn has not been using a HMS head.

9. I turned the horn down and it helps but the hissing doesn't completely go away. I'm tempted to return the BL600 and get a 700RB-II, but I don't know if I can justify the extra $$ just to minimize the hiss. It's not that bad so I guess I'll just live with it.

10. I was just playing around with my rig again and I'm not quite satisfied with that hissing. If I turn up the treble so I get that nice sharp sound when slapping/popping then I get enough hiss to make it very annoying. The whole reason I got the Neo cab with the horn is so I could get that clean/sharp top end, but if it means I have to listen to that hissing I don't know if I can stand it.

Jack, do you think that I could still get that nice sharp/clean sound on the top end without hissing if I went to a bi-amp head? I see the 700RB-II has a "Tweeter High Cut" button to cut frequencies above 10kHz and reduce hissing - do you use that function on your 1001RB and how is your sound affected when you use it?

11. Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Aug 25, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Ive had my BL600 for 2 yrs now - and love it. I wish I still had my early 90s 400rb - but this will do for the time being. I use mine with a "bastard" setup - a Mesa/boogie 2x10 and Kustom 1x15. My Mesa horn hissed as well so I just turned it off.

12. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    I honestly cant tell a difference in sound with the 10kHz cut in the circuit compared to not.

My bass really isn't doing much at 10kHz and so what's the point? I always have that filter switched in because I think it does help reduce noise a little bit.

There's also a 5kHz cut for the woofers too that means you can have full-range woofers + the highs from the tweeters or a proper crossover with <5kHz through the woofers and >5kHz only through the tweeters.

IME the tweeters have much better HF dispersion than the woofers and so if my amp has to cover the room I'll set the tweeter amp to the same level as the woofer amp. In all honesty, it probably makes no difference but I know it SHOULD sound better, so it does. When the sound is just for me (like at home, or miced or DIed on stage) I'll always have the tweeters off. Never really cared for that sound tbh.

As always, YMMV.