Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEW GK NEO COMBOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Wow... That 2x12 looks pretty sweet...

2. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    GK's NEO 212 cab is the heaviest 212 neo around at 64 pounds. Their Rb 1001 II is what another 18 at least? Not that a 212 480+ watt combo isn't a good thing to offer, but a better choice than a lotta other, lighter stuff out there especially if it'll street sell for $1300-1500? (don't know what the price is but the retail was what?....$1850? you can count on a discount of at least 25 to 30%+ at Riks. It may be a legitimate alternative to Aggies and Epi's Neo combo's and / or non-neo combo's, However, Tilt back design and built in casters don't get the combo into your car or up and down stairs. There are decent Neo 212 cabs in the low to mid 50 pound area and several heads now that are 4 to 12 pounds. I see no advantage to offering this combo...make the 212 cab a tiltback with caster's design without the head, and then get the head you want with it. If that's a gk, adding the head and extra wood to the existing 212 and you're taking away the weight advantage of the Neo's. GK will only hold a price advantage over it's competitors in a combo.

Frankly I feel these 212 combo's are destined to fail...they're too heavy. Maybe that will change over time.

LKaye

3. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    ^^^^^^

Yeah, I agree with that... Big heavy combos kinda defeat the purpose of a combo...

Especially in this case where the exact head and cab are both availible seperately already...

Although, the pop-up handle and tilt back casters are pretty helpful...

4. It has the same large wheels that the Neo 412 has on it so you can drag it over gravel, in fact you can drag it over a curb. and the handle extends out really tall so even a 6'4" guy like me can haul it around with ease. The weight is 87lbs. The Aguilar 212 combo is 95lbs. I have not found another 212 combo to compare. The GK Neo 112 combo is 50lbs. The Aguilar 112 combo is 60lbs. GB's NeoX 112 combo is 59lbs. The Epifani 112 combo is 48lbs. It's a little smaller than the GK combo which would explain why it's two pounds lighter. Epifani doesn't make 212 combo as far as I'm aware.

BTW, we chose to make Neo cabs because of the tone. Weight was a secondary factor.

5. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Daniel, I've been really impressed with your responses to different GK related threads. Everyone's customer service testimonies have really solidified my decision on a new GK rig (been playing my trusty 800RB since '89). You mentioned that you guys went with the NEO speakers for tone. I'm really into getting something lighter than my Ampeg backbreaker, but could you elaborate on the tonal differences with your NEO cabs?