1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New GK Plex Preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fjadams, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I kept it pretty flat and used MB800 setting. The reason I ended up using it was it sounded fantastic straight into my headphones. I was impressed since I haven’t found anything but the PJB Bass Buddy that sounds good with headphones. At rehearsal I just boosted the low mid, turned off the presence and that was it. I actually can’t stand the built in compressor, hoping is an update away from being useful (it may be user error on my part), but found I didn’t need a compressor at all. Played for about two hours straight and didn’t have to touch a thing.

2. The Rage

The Rage

Nov 12, 2013
    I do know nothing about technical stuff, but I guess it does have it.

3. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I don't recall seeing anything about one in the manual but I hear it gating from time to time.

The Rage likes this.
  4. lemueldave

lemueldave

May 10, 2016
    There might be. How is the headroom? Are you using an active or passive bass?

5. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Headroom is fairly decent unfortunately for me I have a fairly explosive technique so I'm always bumping up against the edge I have to take the input gain down to keep from clipping but I don't have any problem with it it's fairly easy enough to set. I use a passive Bass primarily it's a G & L LB-100

I'm fairly certain there is a Noise Gate built into the Plex that's not user accessible you can hear it gate at the end of notes I have a couple of pedals that are fairly noisy and you can hear the Plex getting rid of it the noise that is

Is certainly a good thing FYI for this thing to have a Gate built in I hear no anomalies associated with it I just hear the noise going away

slvn and BrentSimons like this.
  6. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I'm a fan of GK tones and thinking about adding a Plex as a pre to my larger amp. I have a couple of questions:
    1. Does the Plex have a HPF? Either adjustable or set.
    2. I remember early on, there were some hiss issues with the Plex. Have they been resolved?
    Thanks.

BrentSimons likes this.
  7. Hi there,
    1 I don't believe so? But there is a "hi cut" of sorts in a secondary function of the hi mids knob
    2 Yes this has been resolved with one of the firmware updates.
    Hope this helps!
    Brent

Red Planet and The Rage like this.
  8. Hey Fellas,
    Well after much deliberating I'm going back to the Plex. I hope @TonyP- can keep us updated about upcoming updates. :) If I had to venture a guess I would imagine the Plex will receive an update with the release of the Plex amp heads?
    But at the moment it serves most of my needs. Amp modeling, overdrive, tuner, aux in, headphones in and USB. If I get cab sims and maybe some overdrive adjustments in the next update that will be brandy on the plum pudding! :)
    Feels good to be back!
    Best wishes to all,
    Brent

The Rage and TonyP- like this.
  9. Byron K

Byron K

Oct 2, 2016
    Plex story.. Just saw a band playing 70s to early 90s rock at an local Irish Pub. The band, and bass in particular, sounded great. I eventually noticed that the bassist didn't have a bass cab and that he was playing thru their PA. Spoke to him on break that I noticed that he was playing his bass directly thru the PA and he sounded great had a nice punchy growl and sat well in the mix. He asked if I played and I mentioned that I'm a guitar player learning bass and use a GK Plex w/ Boss Bass EQ GE-7B. He mentioned that he was also using a Plex in his rig and loved that he got a great sound and didn't have to lug around a heavy cabinet and amp. :)

Imho adding the Boss Bass EQ really helps to shape the tone.

10. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Hello PLEX folks
    I heard a update is coming the end of May.
    Cheers

BOOG, Andyman001, The Rage and 4 others like this.
  11. Ahhh you da man @TonyP- :)

Mine just came from Sweetwater with firmware 3. I'm all ready to go! :)

The Rage and TonyP- like this.
  12. I assume that’s the long-awaited update? What’s new/different? Any cab sims? That’s literally the only thing that has kept me from getting this thing and having an all-in-one pedal to take the place of my amp.

Anybody use these with pedalboards? I would definitely need it to handle fuzz, distortion, etc. well. Never asked before since the lack of cab sims was a deal-breaker, but if that’s been addressed...

The Rage and BrentSimons like this.
  13. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Any word on what the update is? For me the overdrive needs to be warmer and the compressor is not fast enough when setting for limiting.

My favorite overdrive tone in the world is that of the GK MBF500 but I dont always get to use that head so it would be nice if one could get that warmth from the overdrive on the Plex.

A good compressor should have good transient limitting capability IMO.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  14. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I dont see how they could work in cab sims with the current controls but perhaps Im missing something. Each control has a programmable select when depressed but all the controls are fully dedicated to current features. To add cab sims you would have to loose something else best I can tell .

BrentSimons likes this.
  15. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Hi sorry, I don’t know any detail other then that.
    I just wanted to share what I knew with the folks on here because some are waiting.
    Personally I just use the RB setting and I’m pretty happy with it.

16. As stated previously every knob has a secondary push feature. I'm wondering if they added cab sims to the preamp/ model section? so instead of 0-5 you know have 0-9. 800rb with 4x10, mb800 with neo 212 etc with the original pres remaining in case you were going to the front of an amp and didn't need cab simulation?
    Just speculating of course...
    Brent

The Rage likes this.
  17. lemueldave

lemueldave

May 10, 2016
    Can the headroom limitation be solved through a firmware update? This preamp is not active bass-friendly tbh. I'm also excited if the update will include cab sims even though I already sold mine.

BrentSimons likes this.
  18. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thank you. I wonder if they could build into the gain choices one that has something like a passive tone rolled off somewhat yielding a warmer overdrive to the medium gain area?

BrentSimons likes this.
  19. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Perhaps they could add one or two clicks to give a speaker emulator. I would think cab with tweeter and cab without tweeter would be more helpful than the difference between 2x12 and 4x10 when the number of choices are limited.

20. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    My GK Plex is my primary overdrive and I'm able to use the compressor to augment\boost the overdrive to an insane level.