Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New GK

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Marty Forrer, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Just recently I've been getting a lot of restaurant jazz gigs, very quiet, and my SWR 4x8 and Trace head look ludicrous in that situation, so I figured it's time for a very small combo. The AI looks good, but I did'nt like the fact that, if you lift it off the floor, or angle it back, you lose the coupling of the down-firing woofer with the floor. EA is not available in New Zealand, so I settled for a GK MB150E-112. My bass has a Barbera transducer-bridge, and I was able to dial in a sound in about 10 seconds that was my bass, only louder, with no colouration. Yeehaa! I'm a happy camper. I know these amps have been around for a long time, but it's everything I need. Bonus....it's gonna be my rehearsal amp for bass guitar as well. Aaahhh, portability!

2. Just got back from my first gig with this beastie. I'm well pleased. A drummer stopped by who has played all over the world with people like George Benson and Anita O'day, and said I had the loudest bass he'd ever heard. Then he saw the GK behind me, lying on its back facing straight up. He reckoned it was the most natural sounding amp he'd ever heard, very woody. I think the amp placement had a lot to do with it, more of an indirect sound, rather than the speaker facing directly at the audience.

3. I used the exact same combination for years. I used to put the G-K on a stand, slightly tilted, and aimed backwards at the wall behind me. This got around the laser beam effect you sometimes get when aiming the amp straight forward. As good as that pickup/amp combination was, I'm even happier with the custom K & K Bob (All hail) Gollihur had made for me with an AI Contra. If it's a small, no-fuss, get in-get out gig, I'll bring the G-K.

4. I just got a MB150E about a month ago. Although I have not done an upright gig with it yet it was recommended to me by the sound guy at the medium size club I'll occasionally play upright at. "All the jazz cats use 'em" was his sentiment. Where I have used it is at loud electric jams. This thing is amazing for electric. It has the tonal qualitys of my big rig, tower of power, Ampeg solid-state, 350 watt with 4/10s and 1/15 and Sansamp bass driver! It has that same punchy big feel. Not as loud 'course but LOUD. I am blown away by this little amp and at $599.99 I could actually afford it! I would like to buy a cover for it and not 150 bucks if anyone has any suggestions.

5. I just had a padded cover made for mine....$70NZ, which is about $32US.

6. HighFive

HighFive

Jul 27, 2002
    I am looking into buying the GK Microbass Combo 112S model... I was wondering if there is any difference between this and the 112E model except for chorus f/x on the 112E? If that's the only difference, I'll go for the 112S...

7. I really like GKs, I think my next combo will be a GK 700RB-2x10. 350 watts of pure combo heaven!

8. I miswrote. Mine is the S. (for standard) E is for effects, I think. The E will accept a stereo input but I believe it is another 100 dollars also.

9. The difference is that, as well as the chorus, the outs are all stereo, and the eq section is a little different. I would have got the S, but the importers only bring in the E model.

10. dwarfman

dwarfman

Oct 19, 2006
    help! Ijust picked up my second g-k 700rb-11 and the input plug cracks and pops if the basss cord is moved at all .The first one was playing at about half volume.it turned out when I moved the bass cord it came out full volume had to prop up the plug to keep it playing .has any one else had this problem?any suggestions on what to do ?

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The only useful difference IMHO is the EQ. Standard 4-band on th S, and semi parametric on the E. Worth the extra money? Depends on how much EQ'ing your bass wants. Some find the parametric to be helpful in battling feedback.

12. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Do you care to open up the amp? Of course you have to do it safely. Two problems are possible. First is that stress on the input jack has cracked the solder connections between the jack and the printed circuit board. Simply re-melting those connections would have you back in business. Don't just heat the connection with a soldering iron, but flow in some new solder to benefit from the flux.

Second, the jack may be worn out, in which case you would have to replace it. Desoldering those jacks is not 100% straightforward, but not impossible. I think the jack is a standard Neutrik part available from catalogs. I believe the actual quality of those jacks has been improved by some design changes over the years. As you can damage the circuit board by improper de-soldering, you might not want this to be the first de-soldering job you ever attempt.

Third, stress on the jack could actually crack the circuit board. This can sometimes be revealed by shining a bright light through the board from the other side. The typical repair is to solder solid wire over the cracked traces.

Rule of thumb, 90% or more of amp problems are "mechanical" in nature. The mechanical bits are mainly the connectors and pots. Those are the culprit in most repairs that I have done.

13. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    I am glad to hear good things about the GK150MB's. All I had heard about them on TB is that they sound, well, like a metal box. I hope this thread continues on and we can hear more about these amps.

14. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've received nothing but compliments from other musicians and soundmen on the gig with my 112E. That metal box weighs a helluva lot less than any plywood box, and it is easy enough to send a signal to the house p.a. if you want a more volume.

15. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    According to the GK rep who once visited these threads, both the MBE and the MBS pre amps are voiced for the Double Bass. To my ears the MBS has a little warmer sound because the midrange controls are more DB friendly. But you'll need to test this out on your own instrument.

Ric

16. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm glad to see this thread. Recently I've been doing a lot of searches around here for the GK 112 combos and the extension cab. I'm thinking about getting a 112MBX to use with my Focus 2. I've only heard a GK 112 combo once and it was with a Full Circle and the combination sounded amazingly good. I would love to be able to more easily bring everything in one trip. The Epi UL110 weight is OK but the size makes it so uncomfortable to carry when you're also carrying the bass, amp, etc.

17. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I use the extension cab with an AI Focus head and it sounds pretty good for DB work and I also used it for a Hip Hop Opera on EBG playing at a smallish 80-90 seat room and it was more than enough with good sound.

18. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The MB150 combo "works" by virtue of having a massive speaker cone, which is also by necessity fairly stiff. These characteristics work to define the frequency response curve. The low end cutoff (-3 dB point as I have measured) is around 85 Hz, and the speaker has relatively little high end. At least on the "E" version, the preamp is voiced, but the voicing is benign.

I chatted with a fellow bass player at my last gig. He has tried everything, including the Bose column system. We both agreed that the MB combo does not reproduce the natural tone of the bass as faithfully as more elaborate and larger systems. To some extent, it will define the amplified tone of your bass. But it is a good tone quality that just works in a wide range of environments, and the portability is compelling.

I was happy enough with the tone of my MB combo, at least at the low end, that I designed my DIY speaker to have the same basic curve.

19. I had GK 112MBE, sold it after I tried and bought an old
    GK 200MB (discontinued, but with better voicing for URB than 112MBE) plus new GK MBX112 extension cab. This setup works great for my both: electric and upright with Underwood pickup. Nice,warm sound and enough volume even for big bands;) .I usually let my two boxes on the floor, changing their direction - first one for my ears, second for the brass section, or else...

20. Interesting information. That would certainly explain my own observations. I recently bought a PJB Briefcase, and tried it with some tunes from an MP3 player. I was impressed by the clarity and lack of colouration from the small speakers, and so did the same experiment with my GK150 and GK112. The results were exactly as you describe; both the GKs had relatively little high end. I tried the same test with my AI Clarus driving a Raezer's Edge Bass-10, and the sound had great clarity and little or no colouration. FWIW -

- Wil