New Godfrey Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hurezeanu, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005
    Now I know that alot of members here on talkbass are not fans of "unconventional" body types, so if you have nothing nice to say, please don't say it.

Anyway! Les Godfrey finished an amazing bass and delivered it to me about 2 weeks ago, my girlfriend designed the body and the headstock (which is a double-bass like scroll). Here are the specs!:

5-string w/ high-C, 32' scale, 22 frets, fretless, set-neck
    1 Carey Nordstrand custom wound MM pup
    -Macassar Ebony Top
    -Birch core
    -Cocobolo back
    -Cocobolo fingerboard w/ maple lines
    -5 piece birch/ebony/rock maple/ebony/birch neck
    -weighs in at almost 8lbs!

Les is an amazingly talented guy! I'm going to commission him soon to build me a Dragonetti 6er

Attached Files:

2. Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005
    OH! Les did amazing veneer work if you look at the pics above! :bassist:

Attached Files:

3. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I like the body style a lot but not the headstock...
  4. Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Wow I really like that, very cool!
  5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    That's a really individual looking instrument and the workmanship looks first class. Congrats, I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it for a good few years.
  6. flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    OUCH! That is Hot!

Sorry for sounding a little too much like Paris Hilton:bag:

...which reminds me of the Conan joke...

Paris Hilton burnt her arm on the exhaust of her new car recently, shortly afterwards she said, "That's Hot!".:D

7. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Beautiful. Absolutely Beautiful. That is possibly one of the most unique looking instruments I've seen in a long time. Though, it is unique without being gaudy as hell. Congrats.
  8. Awesome bass. May I ask how much it cost?? Is this guy located in Toronto?? Thanks,Nik.
  9. Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005
    BASSBOOST, PM sent.

Few more pics, just to get a look at the bass as a whole!

Attached Files:

10. Very unique - and quite lovely!
  11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    interesting look... congrats!
  12. I love the looks of a scrolled headstock, even better with a matching scrolled upper horn.

Thing looks amazing
  13. TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Blend? of what, the 2 coils?
  14. You should be proud! Took a chance and it paid off.

15. I Pm'ed you back with some questions.Thanks, Nik.
  16. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    very nice! I am not usually a fan of these types of custom shapes, but this one looks very well executed... almost classical, like an evolutionary step between upright and electric. The only thing I would have done differently is to make the fingerboard unlined.
  17. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I tried one of his earlier basses in a store in Toronto last year. It had a 34" scale and a somewhat similar violin shaped body and one pickup, which was a Kent Armstrong, I think. It had a pretty good sound. A bit uncomfortable to play sitting down because of the body shape but allright standing with a strap.

The finish on this bass was a bit rough. it looked like a hand applied stain and varnish rubbed out to a semi-gloss. not at all like your typical factory finish, but it sort of had its own charm.

I think it was selling on commission and had a reduced price of $1700 Canadian.
  18. alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    Very traditional in an orchestral way. Reminds me of the earliest Gibson basses but with way more style. Way to go.
  19. Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005
    Hey! was that the bass at Songbird Music by any chance? that was one of Les' earlier Dragonetti's w/ the single Kent Armstrong pup in it... My girlfriend actually bought it and he is currently refurbishing it to her tastes:)

yup, a blend of the two coils, I can switch between any of em (or have em both on), just a funky little option I asked him to put.
  20. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Oooooooh, flamed macassar top. Très nice.