New Goodman (Count Funkula) Bass!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basso Gruvitas, Feb 17, 2005.

1. I paid a visit to Larry Morgan Music here in Dallas because they recently moved. While there, I happened to run into TB's own Count Funkula (Jamie Goodman). Some of you may know him -- and you SHOULD know his basses!! :D

Do a search on Goodman basses here!! You'll see they have a small but enthusiastic audience.

Jamie had just finished a great 5-string that the store was displaying. Just as with the 4-string he had done before this bass, the 5-string had incredible playability, and just a very solid feel. Here's the recipe:

Black korina body
    3-piece maple neck
    bloodwood fingerboard
    JP basses pickups
    Aguilar OBP-1 preamp w/ passive tone added
    Black hardware w/ Hipshot A Bridge

It was heavier than the 4-string he built, but that 4-string was light as a feather. The 5-string had a phat but articulate tone with lots of snap. I liked the feel of the bloodwood. Many say it's similar to ebony in it's tone, but I found it more growly. The setup on the bass was very low. I would have raised the B and E strings (which sounded great BTW - lots of boom and sustain). The build quality and craftsmanship is very good, but I would say it's still maturing.

Guys, there are many new builders coming on the scene. But I wanted to let you know, from a player who's picky ( :D ) this guy has talent! And he's a nice guy too. Call him before HIS prices go up too!
  2. Jarrett

Jan 19, 2004
    Waxahachie, Tx
  3. Hey Jarrett,
    Yeah, your bass is a killer as well.

Perhaps Count could chime in and give us some pics. I'm hoping to see even more basses from this guy.

It's funny -- when builders are not known, people don't give them much attention. But just because someone is not known does not mean he isn't talented. Jamie is talented!!
  4. Jerrett's thread above has pics of the 4-string.

Again, I'm hoping Jamie will come by to post pics of the 5-string.
  5. Jarrett

Jan 19, 2004
    Waxahachie, Tx
    Yeah, its on my gear page, its the top right thumbnail. That's the 4-string sitting in front of my Ampeg PBC2210.

I'm trying to get Larry Morgan to email me a pic of the 5-string, but haven't received it so far.
  6. Thanks for the complements guys!

Here are a couple of pic's of the 5-string at Larry Morgan's. Sorry about the poor lighting.

I just recieved all the materials to get started on a couple more 4 strings I have orders for. One of them will be a new design that has more of a tradition look. If I ever get around to finishing my web page I'll keep updated progress pictures.
  7. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    quick question, Where did, Larry Morgan move too?
  8. Paul,

Do you know where Speir Music used to be? Larry Morgan moved into their space. Zoo music is right next door.

It's on Garland Ave.

I'm actually going up there tomorrow to get the bass. Apparently it has a grounding issue that I thought I had fixed fix.

9. I fixed the noise problem with the 5-string and it's back at Larry Morgan Music. When I was leaving some guy picked it up and started wailing on it.

I need to start hanging out up there just to hear some of the customers play. There are some great bass players who frequent that shop. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them...... :bawl:
  10. Jamie,
    Glad you're getting some orders in. Does everyone want a copy of that 4-string that Jarrett picked up?

Did you ever hear back from Seth?
  11. One of the orders is for a four string with an alder body, three piece maple neck, and Brazilian rosewood fretboard. It'll be painted but the customer hasn't yet decided on a color.

The second bass is for the bass player of a really popular group on the Christian music scene. I'm pretty excited about the exposure this bass will get. It's a new design that we've been working together to develop.

I haven't heard back from Seth. I'll try to call him again tonight.

12. Yeah, don't be afraid to just get in that guy's face!! Just be rude!! That's my approach when he comes over for bass lessons. ;)

Seriously, I have a lesson with him this Saturday. I'll let him know the 5-string is at Larry's and see if he still wants to pursue this.
  13. Jarrett

Jan 19, 2004
    Waxahachie, Tx
    They should, it's awesome :) It's all but retired my Warwick. Now if I just had a 5-string version of this bass... ;)