1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Gries 45 Tube Bass Amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FFTT, Apr 2, 2015.

1. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    I was just looking at specs on another Gries amp and couldn't help notice Dave's new offering in a light weight recording bass amp head.

IMG_6738.

Dave Gries has been one of my top recommended custom builders since 2006

Each amp is built one at a time to order.

Inspired by the "flip-top" amps of the 1960's, the new Gries Bass 45 produces that same warm, round, thick tone while adding features and circuit enhancements not present in the originals. It starts with the Baxandall tone stack - Volume, Treble, & Bass controls are all that's needed. 12AX7 preamp & 12AT7 phase inverter tubes are used instead of 6SL7's. The 2x6L6GC output section is considerably more efficient, producing 45 watts. Other features include high- and low-sensitivity inputs, switchable 4 & 8 ohm speaker impedance, Mercury Magnetics power transformer, Hammond output transformer, tube rectifier, choke filtered power supply, and adjustable fixed bias.

Controls: Volume, Treble, Bass

Tubes: 12AX7, 12AT7, 6L6GC (2), 5AR4

Dimensions: 20" w, 9 1/2" t, 9 1/2" d. 23 lbs. :hyper:

Pricing

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    TMARK, rodl2005 and Snaxster like this.
  2. waltdogg

waltdogg

May 24, 2014
    Wow that's nice. Price aren't too bad either.

FFTT likes this.
  3. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    American made, best possible components, excellent workmanship, well established and respected custom builder.

webmonster and BassGreaser like this.
  4. lexington125

lexington125

Sep 11, 2013
    hollywood, baby......
    someday I will find 4 or 5 other guys who want to play the blues the way it was played before it became all about guitar heroics
    Would I be out of line to say that this is so close to exactly what I want as my main amp, that I wish he'd consider feeding that amp a protein shake and bulk it up a bit. Something like a pair of KT88s and somewhat heavier iron. But keep it just a simple and basic. Just a wee bit more muscle. That would be all the amp I'd ever need. (if it helps, he can delete the 2nd input - anybody interested in an amp like this will probably NOT be playing some high output active bass)

middy likes this.
  5. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    Dave is a custom builder, can't hurt to ask.

Dave Gries <info@griesamps.com>

I've already mentioned how cool it would be if he could do a Sunn 200S build.

6. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    I was thinking the same thing. A pair of KT88s or 6550s would make an excellent gig rig.

FFTT likes this.
  7. waltdogg

waltdogg

May 24, 2014
    Check out Satellite Amps in San Diego for such an amp. A lot more expensive, but they are pretty seriously nice as well.

8. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    Tell your guitar players, his 12 Reverb is a perfect BF Princeton Reverb

9. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    I can't argue at all. A 2X KT88 small format bass rig would be sweet.

That being said, take a look at the Heritage B-15 specs @ 30 watts RMS and $3000.00
    The 45 is 45 watts RMS and it has a carry handle. That's pretty damn cool.

10. lexington125

lexington125

Sep 11, 2013
    hollywood, baby......
    someday I will find 4 or 5 other guys who want to play the blues the way it was played before it became all about guitar heroics
    We aren't criticizing the current design, we are saying its so much more than just a recording amp! That design, with just bit more juice could be a great "only amp you'll ever need" type amp! And at his current price, we could afford to fund the upgrade to the output section. My issue with everyone except Mr. Gries, is that they start adding on all of these bells & whistles, while his amp is "just the good stuff"

While a 200s is iconic, this thing could probably match the Sunn specs at about half the size and 2/3rds the weight. And Mr. G wouldn't waste time or $ on those silly boost switches.

Was this company at NAMM? If I missed this I'll feel like a moron at having missed a chance to check one out in person. OTOH, if this amp had been at NAMM, I'd be $1.1k poorer right now.

FFTT and middy like this.
  11. Mark_70

Mark_70

Dec 31, 2013
    Minnesota
    That's pretty pricey on a usd/knob basis :D

Regards
    Mark

12. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    Price per knob?

:roflmao:

13. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    I just e-mailed Dave with some of your feedback, so he is listening.

middy likes this.
  14. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    I imagine you should be able to find a very nice bass cabinet to go with it for far less than the $1900.00 difference it would cost you for a Hand Wired Heritage B15-N R/I

MattZilla likes this.
  15. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    Glad to see the likes.

I figured this might be quite literally, just what the Dr. ordered.

16. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    I love early 60's Ampeg originals, but the reality is that If.... you can find a vintage original in somewhat clean condition, it's going to cost you.
    Just the cost to properly refurbish a vintage amp can easily run $250.00-$325.00 excluding NOS replacement tubes.
    Also chances are the original 50 year old speaker may be on its last legs, if the speaker is original.

The Ampeg B15-N is the most recorded bass amp of all time, even if it may be considered underpowered @ 30 watts.
    All that matters in the studio is how it sounds to the mic.

I know Dave takes extra care to make sure his amps operate studio quiet too.
    Much of his business comes from recording professionals.

I still have trouble wrapping my head around a high quality tube bass head at 23 pounds
    That's just crazy cool!

17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    That looks interesting!

18. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    As my daughters would say

OSMR

19. lexington125

lexington125

Sep 11, 2013
    hollywood, baby......
    OK, I'll bite... >>> OSMR <<< ***? Even Google draws a blank and offers up a bunch of phrases about moonshine and genetic coding.

20. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    Old quip from PA side of family

ABCD gold fish, OSMR

As in oh yes them are .

No clue where it originated, just long trip in car silliness.

On the level of "Throw The Cow Over The Fence Some Hay"

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015