1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Guild Starfire Fretless: Questions/Pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassManPatsFan, Oct 23, 2006.

1. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Ok I don't have any pictures yet, but about two weeks ago I bought myself a 1969 Guild Starfire fretless for a damn good price at a shop around here. It's in pretty good condition although it has been modified and such throughout the years. Someone changed the tuners to pre-collapse of communism Schallers (says made in W. Germany), someone put an original badass on, and aditionally someone took out the original pickups and put in four bartolini jazz pups; 2 at each position. In my opinion, the bass plays and sounds great, even if most vintage instrument officiandos would call it blaspehmy. It's my first fretless and i really love the sound and the feel of it, especially the short scale neck which makes it really comfortable to play.
    Now, the real kicker that enticed me to go through with the deal, was when we opened the original case (which I don't think the shop had even glanced at), there was a small compartment like there usually is under the neck supoort part. Low and behold, inside the compartment were the original pickups. Mind you, this is a '69, so they aren't Hagstroms, but I would assume that they are old Guild single coils or humbuckers (humbucker shape, but only one line of pole pieces per pup...).
    Like I said, I'll try to get some pictures up this week, but I was hoping maybe someone could tell me anything about these pickups such as if they go for good money or if I should keep them. I really like the sound of the bass with the barts in, and I could use some money to pay off the rest of the bass, so if they would go for anything good, I'd probably consider selling them. (which I won't do right now; if I do, I'll keep it to the classisfieds).
    Thanks so much,
    -Alex

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021