New guitar cord needed!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by princeadr, Jun 17, 2005.

1. princeadr

Apr 29, 2005
    I am not happy with my present guitar cord(s). They keep getting twisted up as I move around. Is anyone familiar with the Vintage Voltage cords (I think that is the name) sold by Fender. Price looks reasonable for a tweed like covered cord which I think would not twist up as much as rubber or vinyl or whatever most cords seem to be made from on the outside. Also is there anything to the oxygen free concept in cords or is that just some marketing gimmick?
  2. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I got a couple Monster Bass Cables and they've been great. They;re thick and durable and haven't gotten twisted up once for me. My old regular monster cables were always getting twisted up.
  3. I steal cables from my band room

I guess they're band room brand cables

get those
  4. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Not cool. :eyebrow:
  5. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Monster Bass Cables are great and can be exchanged for new ones without a receipt if defective.

They are expensive, but well worth it in the long run.
  6. The nylon covered cables (that look like antique lamp cord or something) get twisted and knotted up worse than any rubber cable. Besides that, if they happen to get wet, it takes a while for them to dry.

Do a search for Monster Cable and see what you think of their business practices. I have a few that I've had for a while, and the only reason I even use them is because of the warranty, but I will not buy any others. I also have some "Conquest Audio" cables that I've been using without problem for the past 10 years or so. They're quieter than any of the Monsters, and I believe them to be better cable without the well known warranty.
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, I find the woven cables get dirty fast and look grubby for their whole lives.

Why not support a TB'er while you're at it?

I'm headed in that direction the next one I need.
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Learn to make your own!

Get some decent cable (e.g. Klotz) and some Neutrik plugs and just do it!
  9. Or just get a very nice (and expensive) wireless system. You'll use it for the rest of your life, and won't have to keep buying new cables when they break when you trip on them. :)

But then again, wireless has it's own issues, too.

EDIT: Personally I buy California Audio cables. They're very nice!
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Instead you can spend your life buying 9 volt batteries. :(
  11. I bought a cable from Butch and it is nothing but top quality. Very fast service, reasonable prices, and an excellent cable. He'll certainly get all my future cable business. I highly recommend Bayou Audio Cables.
  12. Oh yeah, that's true... and it'd really suck going to a gig and realising you're out of batteries... or have your battery start to run out in the middle of a show.
  13. princeadr

Apr 29, 2005
    Does anyone have experience with either Lava cables or Bayou cables. Bayou gives you a choice of Neutrik or G&H connectors. Which is best?
  14. As I said above, I bought a cable from Butch (Bayou Audio) and it is nothing but top quality. Very fast service, reasonable prices, and an excellent cable. The cable I have has the Neutrik connectors, which were standard when I bought it, and while I saw the recently-added option of the G&H connectors, I'm sure either one will perform quite well. The Neutrik connectors that I have look cool and feel very solid. The only issue between the two that I see is that Butch no longer carries or Neutrik no longer makes that style of connector in a right-angle type. I usually like straight on one end and RA on the other, so I'll probably go with the G&H connectors on my future cables from him just because it matches. I cannot in any way imagine that you wouldn't be satisfied with your potential cable-purchase from Butch.
  15. I no longer do business with Monster. Google for their business practices. I'm with JMX. Check out Klotz.
  16. Yes. Make your own, or support our online friend.

I currently use standard issue Rapco cables, and haven't had issue with them in years. Cheap, reliable. But then again, I haven't bought a premade cable in eons.

Speaker cables? Make's just heavy guage elctrical cord.

Guitar patch cables? Use good quality coax that the cable company essentially gives away for free.
  17. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I use 2 brands of cables:

For longer than 3', I use Planet Waves. They have high-quality, tough cables. I have one in each of my gigbags/cases.

For shorter than 3', I use Fender Electro-Volts. Cheap, reliable, and if they die, no biggie...
  18. I tried the coax method for some short (10") cables to conect some effects aside from being quite stiff it seemed to work ok
  19. It should, it's solid core. Should be better than braided. :D
  20. 76Tbird

Mar 18, 2003

Try a coiled "telephone" type cord. They stay out of the way until you need the slack. Fender sells a good one.