Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New guitar player problems!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Jul 21, 2001.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey all me and my drummer are having a horrible time finding the right guitar player. Me and him were in a pro-band about 6 years ago and lost are guitar player. Since then we have just played together as a bass and drum thing. I will say if you ever want to work on bieng a good bass player do this for a few years. I will say that we are one tight ass rythem section now after 6 years. Over the last 2 years we decided to put a band back together to play out. But we have went through 32 guitar player since then. Me and him play alot of funk and technical rock stuff and the guitar players come with cocky attitudes and leave depressed. We always play as hard as we can when a guitar player comes over to try out and i think we just freak them out and scare them off. But its very depressing for us not to do what we want to do! And we do not want to settle. Anyone else ever had a problem like this or am i a freak? I have played bass for 20 years and so has the drummer!

2. Umm well the fact that you two are really tight can be a bit overwhelming, Like guitarists may feel like a third wheel if you like becuase a you and the drummer are thick as thieves, and B) because you are good together.

Maybe you just have to find someone who has as much experience as you guys and open up to him/her. Welcome the new guitarist and say "what have you got to show us" rather than saying "we have all this stuff that you can play too". All find a common ground, even if its really simple.

Merls

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

According to your profile, then, you have been playing bass since you were 7 years old? Musta been a short scale.

4. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Nope i started playing bass when i was 7! My father was a music teacher and played bass. He started me out on stand up but the fact is clear that a 7 year old had a hell of a funny time trying to do that! So he bought me a electric! And my first song to learn was white room by cream! Hehe at 7 my first bass was a bently! And what a piece of junk! And heavy man heavy.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Even though Rick already quoted this, I have a different question...

Why has your drummer been playing bass for 20 years? :D

6. **Jerry Seinfeld on** Grammar people, grammar! **Jerry Seinfeld off** :D

7. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Hang out in the music store. When you find somebody who's playing sounds good to you ask him if he's interested.

You're not setting your standards too high are you? I think Eric Clapton's already got a gig.

:D

8. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    No man more of the problem is that we live in a crap hole of a city! All the guitar players we come across have only played for like 3 or 4 years! Making them rather usless to us! He he i didnt see that i said my drummer has played bass for 20 years! thats funny!