Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new guy amp questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ajb4, Jan 24, 2006.

1. ajb4

ajb4

Jan 24, 2006
    Greetings and good to meet you.

I got a bass gig in a piano-based pop band. Don’t need a lot of power but want (obviously) nice tone.

Played a used Ampeg BA112 last night and absolutely loved the tone.

My questions:
    1. They wanted $250 for it. That seems a bit high for a used model, doesn’t it?
    2. The amp on its own won’t be loud enough for gigs (only 12” speaker, only 50 watts). I know this is a dumb question, but if I line out of it into the band’s PA, will I still be able to hear the signal coming out of the amp’s internal speaker? Or does line out defeat the amp’s speaker?
    3. I’ve done some research and seen a lot of debate about which is better, the BA115 or the 110. Can you tell me which will sound more like the BA112 that I liked so much?

Thanks!
    andy

2. I'm not familiar with that particular amp... so not sure of the price.

But, regarding your other questions, if the amp has a DI, it does not affect the sound coming out of the speaker at all, so you should be fine. Some amps have pre vs. post EQ DI's so that you can send a 'pure' signal to the board and then EQ your amp for the best stage sound.

Finally, while 10's, 12's and 15's tend to sound different, a single 10 is usually not enough sound for even a low volume gig with electric bass. If you liked the 12, I'd stick with that... if you have to choose between a 110 and a 115, I would definitely recommend the single 15 so that you can generate some significant volume in the low end.

Good luck.

K

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    that about sums it up