new guy amp questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ajb4, Jan 24, 2006.

1. ajb4

Jan 24, 2006
    Greetings and good to meet you.

I got a bass gig in a piano-based pop band. Don’t need a lot of power but want (obviously) nice tone.

Played a used Ampeg BA112 last night and absolutely loved the tone.

My questions:
    1. They wanted $250 for it. That seems a bit high for a used model, doesn’t it?
    2. The amp on its own won’t be loud enough for gigs (only 12” speaker, only 50 watts). I know this is a dumb question, but if I line out of it into the band’s PA, will I still be able to hear the signal coming out of the amp’s internal speaker? Or does line out defeat the amp’s speaker?
    3. I’ve done some research and seen a lot of debate about which is better, the BA115 or the 110. Can you tell me which will sound more like the BA112 that I liked so much?

2. I'm not familiar with that particular amp... so not sure of the price.

But, regarding your other questions, if the amp has a DI, it does not affect the sound coming out of the speaker at all, so you should be fine. Some amps have pre vs. post EQ DI's so that you can send a 'pure' signal to the board and then EQ your amp for the best stage sound.

Finally, while 10's, 12's and 15's tend to sound different, a single 10 is usually not enough sound for even a low volume gig with electric bass. If you liked the 12, I'd stick with that... if you have to choose between a 110 and a 115, I would definitely recommend the single 15 so that you can generate some significant volume in the low end.

Good luck.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    that about sums it up