New guy around here.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by onadowner, May 24, 2001.

1. onadowner

May 23, 2001
    Heya folks, my name's Dimity, 20yrs old, I'm no pro but hey.....

Anyhow I play mostly 5 string basses....Jazz, Metal and a little bit of softer stuff.... I've been playing for only a little while, but I'm in a band called MuvBloated and another forming band called PiG...anyhow enough about me. So hey, nice to me ya.

Oh and to break the bread, like I said I'm still in my early playing years, so take it easy on me......:)

Okay, here's my question....I'm thinking of getting a new bass soon, what do you think about the Ibanez Soundgear line? I'm not a big guy so the smaller neck is of interest to me, what about it's sound. I'm looking into the SR305 and SR405 models, and not looking to spend a big deal of money. Any advice on other brands or models in the $400-$600 range is welcomed also. Later.
  2. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany

don`t go with the Soundgear Low-End Line. Floppy B-Strings, weak pickups and a bad EQ. I would rahter look into the american and mexican fender J`s.

Or maybe the Squier P-Bass Special 5. Great Bass ..

3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Soundgears are bad, mmkay? ;)
    Other 5-stringers in the $400-$600 range? From the top of my head:

Yamaha RBX765A
    Yamaha BBG5S
    Yamaha BBN5
    Schecter AB5
    Hamer Cruise CRV
    MTD K5
    Spector NS2000/Q5
    Ibanez BTB 405 (much better than any Soundgear, they say)
    Ibanez EDB605
    Tobias Toby Pro
    Dean Edge
    Cort Curbow

And there's plenty more. This is just for new basses - if you look at the used market, you have even more basses to choose from.
  4. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    as always i suggest you to go with the used market, you could afford a great bass. and first of all try to understand what you really want from your new bass. i'm not a big fan of ibanez soungear too. you could find better.
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I came in to say hello so ... hello.

Re Ibanez I am not a fan.
  6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Welcome Onadowner!

Thought I'd throw that in, since no one else has... You're in a good place. New guys get lots of ribbing sometimes, but don't let it get to you.
  7. Hey onadowner, welcome to talkbass. I'll be the first
    to tell you that you've taken your life in your hands
    mentioning Ibanez. More people have been killed and
    injured at this forum while at an Ibanez thread than any other.

Seriously, some people like Ibanez and some don't.
    I do, but, I'm an Ibanez realist. I've played some soundgears that sounded fine to me, but, if you want to buy a great Ibanez 5 string, try a BTB405
    (not sure if that's the exact model#) It's closer to $600.00, and it's got a wide neck, but one of the best B strings going. People that don't like Ibanez like this one. In the end, if you like the sound of whichever bass, and it feels comfortable in your hands, that's the bass for you. If you go used, you'll get more for your money. As Oysterman said, the Yamaha RBX765A is also a very good bass, and
    will run about $700.00 with the case. Take your time, listen to everyone's advise, but, YOU make the ultimate decision.

Good luck,
    Mike J.

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    The B-string on the soundgear sounds like a detuned banjo being whipped by a coat hangar.
    And I agree with oysterman...Soundgears are bad, mmkay! :)
  9. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    I picked up my BTB405 for $540 last Sunday, I highly recommend it. Excellent B string, good electronics, and a very nice tone.
  10. twiggy

twiggy Guest

Apr 27, 2001
    welcome but i have no clue on the ibanez . what am i talking about hell i don't know how to play my 4 string dean
  11. Hey, oo0o00o0oo (hard name to type) Congrats.
    The BTB405 is on my list, but there's still more I want to check out. Tell everyone here how good these basses are. Didn't take that long to get used to the neck did it?

Mike J.
  12. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    It took me about 5 minutes to get used to the neck, now I'm in love with it.

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
  14. twiggy

twiggy Guest

Apr 27, 2001
    i was just letting him know we were glad to have him aboard here at talkbass. i had no opinion on the ibby because i have never played it so i let him know that also. now is there anything else you would like to hmmmmm about or do you just like bashing new guys that happen to have picked a user name of a bassist you do not like? anyway welcome to the board dimity i hope you find the info you are looking for
  15. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey Mike,

As oo0o00o0oo says himself in his quote you can just call him Binary Boy. That works

Hey welcome to TalkBass onadowner. In response to your question I would say to look into a Cort Curbow also. I have one and I absolutely love it. I haven't played any Ibanez BTB's yet so I can't compare the too.