New Guy..First Post ..Need Help!!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by KlarkKent, Dec 17, 2001.

1. KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Hey All,

Very proud to join the Forum. I have been playing guitar since 1982 and have decided to make the move to bass. They say I'll work FOREVER, I hope that's true. Part of the reason for the move is my all consuming passion for the Police. I can play and sing well and have about 90% of the songs down, ( I do a very good Sting impersonation).

So thats' me!!!

Equipment:(This is sad!)

A borrowed Danelectro
    A Yamaha 6 Channel Powered Board and single 12 inch Full Range Cabinet...That I am BABYSITTING!!

Yes, purchasing is on the horizon. Since I love The Police, I most definately will get an American Standard Jazz, used would be cool, and clear finish/No paint with Rosewood neck would be cooler. rig is one of the reasons I have joined the forum. Seems like theirs a billion options all of them expensive, ( I want a good tone ). I plan on spending about 1200.00 which I know is nothing but thats all I can afford!

I started thinkin about what to get when I remembered a comment sting made about his rig in an old guitar player mag. interview..." a P.A., big and loud"... SSSSSSOO it got me thinkin, they got this Sans Amp Bass Driver thing right I wonder if I could......

(all right guys...would this work?)

....Put together my own P.A. to run The Sans Amp Bass Driver through. Guitar into Sans Amp Bass Driver into 4 Channel mixer(Behringer), powered by 1000 watt Power amp,(Mackie), with a Comp/Limiter/Gate effect Rack,(???), INTO a Passive Full Range P.A. Cab. or Mid-Hi Bass Cab INTO a passive Sub-Woofer w/ Internal crossover.

A) Would This Work?
    b) Would it have a pretty good tone?
    c) I know this is a long Post
    d) I am a complete novice be gentle!!!!

Klark Kent
  2. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    A) It might...but you won't.
    B) Probably not.
    C) Actually not too bad.
    D)'re admitting you are a g*itar player, so I'm afraid that just won't be possible ;) .

Okay Klark, you're in LA so get yourself out to Tarzana and visit Dave and Long at the L.A. Bass Exchange (I wouldn't mention the g*itar player thing though). Admittedly your $1200 won't go very far, especially if you need a bass and a rig...but you'll be hanging with "bass players only, dude", and they're great guys who can steer you in the right direction. Stay away from that evil G*itar Center place! Better yet, keep the borrowed rig and take lessons from either Kim Stone (of the Rippingtons) or Baba Elefante, who both teach there. In fact Gary Willis also teaches there when he's in town, and the NAMM show is just around the corner so he should be around for that.

P.S. If you don't know who Gary is...don't admit it here! :D
  3. KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Thanks Craig,

Sorry did not get back to you so soon. MMMMM that's disapointing about the frankenstein rig. Is it just unheard of to do that, (PA), I know Duke Robillard, a great blues guitarist, plays through a an old Peavey PA. Thanks for the tip in Tarzana.

Klark Kent
  4. Hi Klark and a warm welcome to Talk Bass.

I'm certain you'll like what you find on this forum. I certainly do.

And one for Craig.....

Well I never heard of Gary Wills:eek:

5. Welcome to TB Klark, I am pretty sure that rig you are talking about would work, I just dont think it would be very easy to get a good tone. You would have to buy some fancy effects units to get some good tone. I would just forget the whole Sansamp, Mixer combo, and just go for a good Preamp. If you are looking for something cheap but good, I would check out <a href="">carvin</a>. They have some great stuff for real cheap. They have a 1000 watt head with a 2x10 and a 1x15 for around $1000. And trust me this stuff is great quality stuff, not like some other discount brands. Most of the people here on TB would agree with me. Hope I helped you some.
  6. KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    THanks for the reply I have looked into carvin amps, very impressed!

Klark Kent
  7. Welcome to TB KlarkKent. Hey, aren't you a drummer??? ;)
  8. KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, I know it's Stewart's alter ego, but I just like the name!