1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Guy Here (and I use Hartke) lemme have it gearheads!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DDThunder, Jan 6, 2007.

1. DDThunder

DDThunder

Jan 6, 2007
    Nashville/ATL
    Greetings TB
    Anybody want to tell me about their Hartke horror stories?
    I have played professionally for 25 yrs, and owned literally every kind of rig on the market. I play rock and roll. I play loud. My amp
    requirements are volume/headroom/grit. I toured with SVTs for years, and thats always been my bottom line for rock bass.
    Recently, I decided to leave the seclusion of my studio and tour a new rock project around the southeast.
    Without the massive funding for a new set of SVT's, I was given the choice of a pair of 7000 mosfets in good shape(for less than the cost of 1 SVT) I have custom cabinets from 18's-15's- -12's(yes 12's) and a good ol Hartke 410vx.
    I can configure this rig in a few different ways depending on the gig.My heads are mounted in custom cases to sit atop the spkr stacks . I had some minor re-soldering done on both heads and put shock-proof rubber underneath the amp, and I have ZERO PROBLEMS NOW. I tried out ALL the HI$$ heads that are currently out, and none have the sheer power and tone of these beasts. This rig is the absolute closet to my old ampeg sound.
    Yes it is heavy (ever tote a SVT?) Repairs? (ever own a SVT?)
    I've only used this rig for a few months at rehearsals(full blown soundstage at performance volume), and have NO issues other than watching beer cans fall off things while I play.
    I came to this forum seeking 411 on newer rigs and found this hartke debate, thought maybe this input might help someone else.
    It sure helped me (the money i saved got me a 71 p bass!)

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Welcome to TB!

I've got no problems w/ Hartke amps. I played at the Knitting Factory 2 weeks ago and the house rig was a big Hartke head w/ a matching 4x12 cab and it sounded great. :hyper:

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Here's a Hartke horror story for you.......................

I've been a Hartke amp user for the last 4 years (5500, 3000) and have not had one single issue with either amp. The 3000 even took a drink of water and when dried out and fired up, worked just fine! I think some folks just beat their gear to h*ll and just won't admit to it when something happens to it! And that includes all brands! Just my opinion!

Hope that was horrible enough for you! :)

4. DDThunder

DDThunder

Jan 6, 2007
    Nashville/ATL
    Xactly man! gotta show that love always! If more players looked inside their amps, they would be amazed at the sheer amount of screws. THEY VIBRATE! I've seen amp restorations consist of NOTHING but tightening screws. Even hand soldered joints can go cold from vibration (any techs wanna chime in?)

5. I use a Hartke Kickback 15 which, at our regular venues, is supported by a PA; essentially, it is a monitor. On the way to a gig on SW FL, the back of our trailer opened and the amp fell out at fifty miles per hour onto the highway and into a ditch. Horrified, we pulled over, secured the trailer latch, and played the gig. Some scuffs on the carpet, but no discernible damage. Been playing semi-pro forty years, went through my Ampeg phase in the early eighties--no one's badmouthing Hartkes when I'm around!

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The Golden Rule of amps is: The best amp is the one that works, that's already paid for!

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I wish more people subscribed to that theory! :)

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Amen! If it works in your band setting, it's a good amp.

9. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    No Hartke bashing from me. I have a B300 practice amp in my basement/music room and a new head (HA2500) and cabinet (210TP) on the way from American Musical Supply. Quality equipment for a reasonable price!

10. DDThunder

DDThunder

Jan 6, 2007
    Nashville/ATL
    Common sense prevails!

11. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    GK/Hartke here. 800RB, and 410XL and 2 x 115XL cabs.

Love my rig. Reliable as a brick.

12. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I've been using a 3500 and a 4x10 TP for the last 12 years. Had some issues with it early on, bad solder joints. Last fall the SKB 2 space rack it lives in got knocked over and the output was distorted the next time I fired it up. Took it to the bass store here in town who sent it to the local Hartke Authorized repair center and they found cracked solder joints. But about a month after that I had it at KJung's place checking out some different cabs. In the middle of swapping it from one to another, the distorted output reappeared. No drop, no trauma. Sent it back to the repair shop, but they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. It was still distorted. The store I had taken it to sent it to another repair shop they had just started working with and it was gone for about 2 months. They had to get schematics from Hartke(which took awhile according to them) then had a hard time finding parts. They traced part of the problem to the effects blend knob on the back, plus a laundry list of other problems I could barely read on the repair order. On top of that they wanted to charge about what it would cost to buy another one, without having called in an estimate for the repair. They guy's at the store negotiated on my behalf and got the bill down within reason.

All that said, I do really like this head, but am looking for a back up with perhaps a little differant flavor.

13. ducatiman

ducatiman

Oct 3, 2006
    new yawk
    ha5500 owner here. no problems whatsoever and it is gigged
    fairly often. also well taken care of, not dropped or abused in any way.

hartke 4 x 10 and 1x 15 cabs - no problems.

just acquired and resurrected a hartke 215XL cab with eminence CB15 drivers. haven't gigged it as yet but lookin forward to knockin drinks off the bar.

nothing but good to say about hartke. affordable, reliable. nuff said.

---------------duc

14. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I had a 5000 for 3 years and never had a problem with it. Reliable and loud. :cool:

15. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Welcome to TB. I only own one Hartke cab (210TP) and I'm not really happy with it. Used biamped with my 800RB on the high frequency amp, and a JBL 1-15 on the lows, it sounds OK, but I still like my SWR's better for cabs. Maybee I'm just not an aluminium cone guy.

As for their heads, I've had quite a few opportunities to play on them, and I'm always very pleased with the result. They do make good heads.

16. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I have two Hartke heads (5000 and 3000) and 115xl, 210xl and 2.5xl cabs - used all these fairly extensively in just about all possible configurations from very small to reasonably big (outdoor festival) gigs, never had a problem and always get a great sound. Hartke gear is good stuff, excellent at the price.

I'm using a Markbass 210 combo now for most gigs, superb piece of kit and it sounds great, but the number one advantage is the lower weight and that's really what I paid the extra money for.

17. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Its all in the hands and fingers ,
    Hartke amplifies you bass , and thats what its all about.
    Ive played som hartke as hired backline sometimes , great gear , punchy. For that price it can not be beaten IMO.

18. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    Anyone here use/try an 215BXL???

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I have an older MOSFET 3500 that's been solid for me without a problem for over 10 years. No complaints from me or my various bandmates who always dug the tone.

20. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The Hartke Amps are made well and the emualted tbe sound in them is quite convincing. On the other hand, I don't have much respect for the speaker cabs. I had the 410xl (Aluminum cones) and I could not stand the lack of volume, and midrange punch from that cab. All the sharp high end was awful sounding to my ears and the tone was just terrible. Clickity-clack with a little boom is all I really heard from that thing. I am glad I went towards Ampeg speakers and Paper cones for my tone desires.