Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New guy here looking for input on a few basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by racer56, Mar 20, 2003.

1. racer56

racer56

Mar 20, 2003
    Missouri
    Looking at getting a bass to play hard rock/metal. Budget is limited but it seems alot of these groups have gone to the 5 string bass. I have read some good things about the Essex BG-205 but without playing one that would be tought for me. What is the sound of them campared to something I can play? From what I've found the lower end Ibanez or import Fender(maybe) are choices as well. I've played a little bass before but maily guitar(6). Is the hardware good that comes with the Essex? I also like some older stuff as well(Dokken, Ratt, Led Zep....) My first guitar was such a plie I hate to buy a low end unit but it sounds like the quality of the lower end stuff has come along way. Is the Essex something that is ok for small club gigs and such? The low end Ibanez played ok it just sounded kind of thin to me. Thanks for the input. :)

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    essex instruments are very nice, so are some mim fender jazz basses

what exactly is your budget, in what range - there's a big difference between what's available for us$150-200 and what's available for say us$300.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

John mentioned the Fender "Made in Mexico" basses, (MIM's). I played them and lots of others in the past few decades and they impressed me a lot when I looked at their price tags.

Sure, a "Made in Amercia" Precision is better, but your budget is a concern. Try an MIM and save the money for a good amp. A mediocre bass through a fine amp will get you further than a fine bass through a mediocre amp.

Your bass can never sound better than your amp.

4. racer56

racer56

Mar 20, 2003
    Missouri
    The 169 price tag had my attention for a 5 string bas(essex). Back i the day I've had some very expensive guitarsbut my fav guitar was a Charvel model 4 I bought used for like 125.00 from a bud so go figure.:) I'm interested in the Essex but don't want to have to put a new bridge, pups, tuners.... on it for it to be a good bass. Does the Essex have a deeper tone to it than the Ibanezlower end stuff? Well as far as my budget well after seeing the Essex I lowered it some:D but I would say the wife would still let me in the house with a 300.00 bass. But as posted before the more I spend on the bass the less I have for an amp. What does the up to 300 range put me into?

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Essex will be releasing the HBX in a month or two, and it will go for $270. It is looking like a very good 5'er for the price-quilt top, active tone circuit, solid body, and decent hardware. The Spector you PM'ed me about can be foudn on ebay any day of the week selling for $350 in nice shape, but that sounds a little too high for your price range. You probably will only need a smaller practice amp for awhile if your just starting out on bass, but your bass can only sound as good your amp. What's your total budget looking like for the amp+bass?

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Just thought of another good option- Copley guitars makes a very good bass for the price. Most of their 5 string models are over $400, but they sell off 5'ers at a discounted price (about $300) on ebay on a regular basis. I believe Mr Copley can be contacted here on TB (can't remember his handle-help me out guys?) if you want to ask him about the basses or see if he has some old stock he can sell you for cheap, or something to that degree. The website is www.simbaproducts.com
    Just go to the basses section. Hope that helps. If nothing else, the SX is always a good begginner bass choice that will keep you happy for awhile- i just ordered an SX jazz. :)

7. racer56

racer56

Mar 20, 2003
    Missouri
    Well my budget is around 1000.oo But my wife says hers is a bit closer to 450 or so,ha. What do you think about that 205 that is out right now? Is the hardware good? I know it can't be top level but like you said I need to save some room for a good amp. If I get the 205 for 170 and a case for I think it was 45? I have around 175.00 for an amp and the wife is happy:D . What do you reccomend in that price range for an amp? I wanted to start off with something big enough to jam with others so I don't want something too small just trying to max my dollars as always. I hate not being able to play one first though. That has been eating at me abit. I want to look at the pawn shops first before I buy something I can't play first.