Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new guy here. question about ESP J-four...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andergtr, Nov 16, 2005.

1. andergtr

andergtr

Nov 15, 2005
    manhattan, NY
    i am a guitarist who is dabbling in/hacking away at bass. i just picked up a used ESP J-four on evilbay and wanted to see if i could get more information about it. i did a google search and couldn't find much information (half the links were searches on ebay).

i also did a search here and know that nino valenti had one at one point and liked it.

i guess i'd like to get general impressions. i picked it up for $319 used, and i figured it was gonna be better than your basic mexi-jazz bass in that price range.

thanks...you bassists are a cool bunch from what i see.

john ou

2. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    I have some old ESP literature at home on them but it's basically just a picture with a basic description. I used to have a black one and I liked it ok and later sold it on Ebay and got back what I paid for it which was cool. They always have Alder or Ash bodies and most always Rosewood fingerboards. Typically basic jazz pickups (possibly Duncans) and a Gotoh bridge. Basic really but they always sound good. The sculpted heel on the back of the neck is cool too. These basses are easy to modify too by adding a BA2 bridge or there are even a few preamps that you could add without modifying the bass much. Mine was light too (like 8 lbs) which was cool.

3. andergtr

andergtr

Nov 15, 2005
    manhattan, NY
    thank you. i appreciate the quick response. i figure that i can have norio imai, my luthier and ex-sadowsky guy, go through it, do some tweaks, and then perhaps install an aguilar preamp to make it a ghetto sadowsky wannabe.

john ou