Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new guy needs lots of advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lucai, Aug 18, 2004.

1. lucai

lucai

Aug 9, 2004
    San Francisco
    Recording Engineer, The Pocket Studios
    hi all ,

I just registered but i have been checking this forum for quite some time now and have gone thru many of the threads so i wont ask anything that hasnt been talked about before. Anyways the problem i have is , i need a complete rig ... new bass , amp , effects .. the works . I have 3 basses already but nothing of any quality .

I have 7 grand canadian to spend,
    wich is alot at my age (17) but it will go to good use since im moving outta the house and about 2000 miles away and have 2 gigs setup already , sorry for going on here a bit .. but il tell you what i play and what i need from my rig... i need a wide range of tones that will work in a jazz , funk , classic rock and more agressive heavier stuff type of setting. Since i live in northern canada 12 hours away from the nearest large retail dealer , i wont get to try any of this stuff out before i get it.. wich really sucks but nothing i can do at this point.

Im leaning towards a warwick thumb or corvette or possibly a roscoe ? i dunno im just going on what ive heard of them and how they look wich i know is stupid .. but its all i have to go on. As far as amp and cabs.. i really have no idea what id need but i need plenty of juice. As far as effects i have thinking of ebs pedals , and id prolly need a phrase sampler/delay and a bass whammy.

any input to this is greatly appriciated

thank you all for your wisdom ive learnt alot just from going through the forums.

-lucas

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Since your in Canada, and your budjet suits it, check out www.dingwallguitars.com

I HIGHLY reccomend the Afterburner series. I bought mine having never played or even heard sound clips of it, just reviews, and I was NOT dissapointed.

Dont let the fanned frets scare you at all, it literally takes 5 minutes to get used too. If your hands are really small, you may not want to consider one, as the low end reach is a little larger than most, but its well within reason to play.

Sheldon makes a damn fine bass, and puts the same heart and soul into all of his instruments, including the low end Afterburner. Also dont be misled by "low end" there. There is nothing low-end about these basses aside from he makes more expensive ones hehe.

There are sound clips on his website, or you can listen to the songs in my signature, all recorded flat EQ direct into sound card, no pre-amp.

3. lucai

lucai

Aug 9, 2004
    San Francisco
    thanx , and i should have mentioned that i do have small hands but i really dont have any problem playing 6stringers
    but im assuming the fanned frets require larger hands? or am i mistaken ?

-lucas

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    A little bit yeah. The B string is 37 inches long, which isnt a problem at all below the 5th fret or so, but in the very deep end it is a stretch.

There is a video here that I believe starts out with Daniel E. playing my bass. He's a pretty small guy, and didnt seem to have any trouble playing it, but he did stay in the higher register most of the time as well.

http://www.mnl.biz/talkbass.wmv

5. lucai

lucai

Aug 9, 2004
    San Francisco
    im looking at there website right now and i gotta say im impressed.. really goes in dept about construction .. and 1300-1500 retail ? .. on a side note im not really worried about being able to play them il adapt

6. lucai,
    I'm going a different direction with you. If you have small hands and what you've been playing is pretty basic, why not buy a higher quality bass that's still 34"? Have you checked out Mike Kinal's basses?

http://www.kinal.com/ He has a great reputation as a builder, he's in Canada, and does 34", 34.5" or 35".

Not to diss Juneau's suggestion!! Dingwalls DO sound fantastic -- I just want to make the leap to high end smooth. It's just another choice for you.

Let the STYLES of music you play dictate what you buy. Don't get a clean, modern, slicing rig when you play grunge. Likewise don't get a rock rig when you play super-fast techno chops.

7. lucai

lucai

Aug 9, 2004
    San Francisco
    thanx im still lookin over the dingwall's and im just wondering there doesnt look like theres much room for 2 string poping with the pickup angeled up.. how is it for slapping ? do u feel cramped at all ?

-lucas

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Its a little tighter than usual, but doesn't seem to bother most folks. I dont slap well myself so I couldnt say so much, but others that have played it didnt seem to be bothered.

9. You're in Canada!
    Near from Ontario?
    F Bass rocks....
    Why not a BN5? very good, polyvalent, great feeling, sounding and looking BG!

That's your own choice
    Vince

10. lucai

lucai

Aug 9, 2004
    San Francisco
    one last thing how much did you pay for yours? im lookin for a price and i cant find one

11. lucai

lucai

Aug 9, 2004
    San Francisco
    yeah northern northern ontario , check hearst on a map and you'll start to pitty me

i was under the impression that an f bass was outta my price range as i still need to buy an amp

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I payed $1500 for mine shipped. Included a hard shell case. I ordered mine from a local dealler though, not direct from Sheldon.

13. lucai

lucai

Aug 9, 2004
    San Francisco
    wow.. im assuming thats american ? and that you have the model without the preamp.. you can still get a wide range without the preamp?

14. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Yes american, yes passive electronics.

You can get quite a bit of differing tones out of them, and you will be impressed with how hot these passives are. In series config, they blow most actives Ive heard away, or at least match them.

15. lucai

lucai

Aug 9, 2004
    San Francisco
    well your a good salesman , i think im gonna get one unless something that gets better bang for the buck is suggested
    im looking at the specs page on there website and im floored
    the amount of thought theyve put into them. The frustration of not being able to play one if getting to me now.

16. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hehehe, I try, but they really do sell themselves I thought. After all the reading I did, I felt just like you prolly do right now. Going through the rave reviews, the contruction and innovative ideas included, and how it just all made sense to me.

After being so hyped up and not being let down in the least when I did get mine, I just have to pass on that feeling whenever I get the chance.

To top it all off Sheldon is a great guy and very easy to talk too. He is rather busy and may be a bit slow to respond at times, but I woudlnt expect anything less. If he had time to email everyone all day, Id wonder who was putting these awesome things together. Sheldon also posts here on these boards, and Ive PMed him a number of times hehe. His user name is Sheldon D. if your interested in speaking directly with him.

17. lucai

lucai

Aug 9, 2004
    San Francisco
    thanx , yeah il email him im assuming i can order directly from him , i have some questions i dont think i would have even considered them .. i was seriously gonna get a warwick.. but im seriously second guessing it right now