Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Guy--question about Carvin bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dios, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Dios

Dios

Apr 5, 2002
    Hey all,

I'm new to TB but already like it. I'm curious, though, as to why rickbass1 gave such a horrible review of Carvin's LB 75 5 string bass. I have owned an LB 76 (6 stringer) for a little over 3 years now and have yet to experience any problems.<br><br> I started on a cheap, used Gibson Epiphone 4 string bass which used to buzz all the time (didn't matter how hard I fretted notes. I also tried very light gauge strings to no avail) and couldn't keep in tune worth a flip. The electronics constantly failed too.<br><br> When I got my Carvin, I inspected it for any damage after removing it from the shipping box. No damage at all. In fact, it was within 5 cents of perfect tune on every string! <br><br> To this day, the neck is still straight, the tuning pegs are silky smooth and it sounds great. The finish is still as glossy as when I first got it. It still never goes more than 5 cents sharp or flat on any given string (actually, the only strings I find myself ever tuning are the B and E strings, if at all).<br> <br> I'm not sure what he was talking about with the buzz on the D and G strings; i've never experienced that. I used to be in many bands, so it got some good heavy usage, but nowadays, I mostly jam at home by myself. I'm not plugging Carvin or anything, so like anything else you buy, shop around for the best price/quality/performance. I shopped around for close to a year and tried every bass I could get my hands on before I settled on a Carvin.<br><br> I'm just curious as to why rickbass1 ripped into it so bad and dbradford gave it a positive review. Anyone else here own an LB 76? If so, when did you get it and how is it holding up? Good investment? Bad one? I'd like to know because I'm considering getting the fretless version and have yet to play a fretless bass that "fits" as well as my LB 76.

2. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Different strokes, different folks.

Maybe he got a reject.

Personally I like Carvin. They're great for the money. A ton of people like them too, I think Bass Player mag chose it as best bass or some award.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Rick had problems with the fretwork on the bass, and also had serious issues with the electronics, which Carvin never did remedy completely. He wound up getting a refund on the bass.

4. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I used a carvin lb75 on the road for years, and just sold it last year,{to leftypunkbass} the bass was great,I changed the pickups to emg's it came with the old type carvin pickups but was a great bass!!!

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've got an LB76, mid 90's I think- I got it used. It's holding up just fine! Used it last night to record a tune w/ Mark 'Progzilla' from this very site.
    We're having 'bass summit III' down here in AL, & last night he worked up a tune and tracked it w/ the LB76. I haven't recorded that particular bass much, and now I don't know why. It sounds great!
    I'll have to post the track when we finish it.

I've got no complaints about Carvin- I own quite a bit of their stuff, and none has let me down.
    However, I realize that any mass-producing company is going to have a lemon now and then...and people have experienced problems with Carvins, as no doubt you could with any brand. And even excluding an ocassional goof-up, there's always 'personal preference'... not everybody's going to like Carvin's tone/feel/look. We have to accept that & not take it personally, it doesn't devalue our Carvin equipment at all, if we really like it.

Some may dismiss Carvin (others do the same for many other 'underdog' brands), but that's dangerous, especially if you haven't sampled a broad range of their products. That's one thing I appreciate about this site; those who've had bad experiences with a certain product or brand won't usually deride the whole company based on just one problem. Good to keep an open mind about that kind of thing...

6. air4me2

air4me2 Guest

Feb 19, 2002
    SoCal
    Carvins are in my opinion the best playing basses around! The neck and fingerboard profiles are thin and fast,, perfect for me at least. They sound good too,, considering that their pickups are the weakest link.

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I had a great salesman back in 1995 when I bought a Carvin LB75. Must have spent a solid week trying to decide on colors and options. Then I waited over 8 weeks to get it, only to find out that one of the pickups was faulty. Back it went and another 3 week wait. As far as its overall quality and effectiveness over the five years I had it, it did the job. However, when I compare it head to head with my Cirrus, the Cirrus wins hands down. Better sound and a pretty much impeccable neck. The Carvin was a little dull in some places. Now I had a Carvin LB75P for awhile and just couldn't get use to the pickups and the piezos. Not a bad bass, but not my kind of sound. So as you can see, I've got some mixed emotions. Nevertheless, the Carvin was my main stay for five solid years.

8. Dios

Dios

Apr 5, 2002
    Thanks for such great feedback guys!

9. JaggedB

JaggedB

Jan 26, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    I ordered a Carvin from thie existing stock (the only thing that was a bit different that what I wanted was the headstock).

The bass was not bad at all. I had the P option and didn't really find a need for piezos, or couldn't get any tones that I like, etc. The neck was slim and felt pretty good, but the radius just didn't feel right. I also thought the body felt a little small to my tastes.

Oh, the battery compartments were a pain to try and open and one pot was scratchy.

All that being said, It just wasn't me so I sent it back. Carvin refunded with no problem and that was that. I thought the Carvin staff I spoke with were very helpful, and might consider it again, but I'd have to play it first this time which means probably used.

Just my $.02

10. I have an LB75P and I really like the bass, actually the neck on got on this bass is better than any of the necks I have played around at the local stores, and I tried many of my fellow bassits basses... I just really like the neck, and the frettboard. The electronics aren't as good as barts but there certaintly not bad. THe finish was great on the bass absoulutly wonderfull!

Bottom line, if you like carvin go with carvin, and tell everyoneone els to **** off. BUT with that said, understand that some people may like other brands, and might feel the same way, so we all have to respect everyones choices,,, HOWEVER I think the stupidest reason to like something is because it's " cool" or "cause it's suspoes to be the best",,, like it because you want to like it, and because it fits you, not because of what is the latest market craze!

I like my carvin, others may not, but that's okay,,, ROCK ON!

11. crud19

crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    Missouri
    Sorry guys, carvin basses may be well-built and affordable, but man are they u-g-l-y ugly! Tiny horns and pointy headstocks should be left to heavy metal guitars from the 80s, thank you.

12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    For me it's about how it sounds and not so much on appearance.... I love the tone of my BB75. The HB2 Music Man style pup is GREAT and the J99 single coil simply SCREAMS!!! I ordered mine from the "In Stock" page also.... Actually it was the "display" model for the BB75 on the site:

http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?CFG=2&P2=BB75&P1=BGTR

This bass has since become my main performance instrument.... Can get any sound/tone I could want from it.

13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    yeah, that whole 'appearance' factor is a weird one, no? I like the BB shape, but I'm not totally enamored of the LB's look. Oh well. It's so subjective!

Personally, I haven't seen a Jackson bass I didn't find repulsive, but that's just me. Somebody must be playing them, they sure make enough of 'em.

And I'll vouch for Mark's description of his BB75, those P'ups are awesome! That HB is ungodly!
    I might be sending my LB76 back in for a retrofit...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/christianson10/bs3/marx smll.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/christianson10/bs3/bs3 carvins.jpg

14. word. Good example of this is the Rick 4003. Upon bypassing one of the capacitors (i forgot which one...etc...), this thing has INCREDIBLE sound. I love the Rick sound (except I usually cut a lot of the treble out.), but I really don't like the look at all. Too bad looks basically don't matter at all, just like (my opinion) with a wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend. Amen to that.