1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New guy question

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by jboylan67, Aug 10, 2007.

1. jboylan67

jboylan67

Aug 10, 2007
    Clifton, NJ
    Hi all,

How would I go about playing my bass along to recorded music while being able to listen to both simultaneously on my headphones? Is there a product that makes this easier, because I can't seem to think of how to do it.

Thanks!

2. Steve Amadeo

Steve Amadeo

Nov 14, 2005
    Wallasey, UK
    Hi,

I use a Korg Pandora which allows you to connect a CD player or ipod via mini-jack, plus your bass via 1/4" input and monitor both on headphones. It's also battery powered as well as mains powered so you can practise while on the move. You can adjust the volume between bass and CD/ipod input as well as the EQ on the bass (and add effects). There's also a loop function so you can sample a section of music and have it repeat over and over.

I picked one up on ebay for not much money. They do a guitar and bass version.

Hope this helps.

Steve

3. timmbass

timmbass

Oct 4, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    This would be a difficult topic to know how to search for here.

I recommend you search for [headphone amp] or [cafe walter].

You will get all the threads that discuss this topic.

Here is one thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338384

I use Transcribe! software on my computer to play mp3 and wav files, into a Fodera Practice Amp. I don't think they make it anymore, but the Cafe Walter is similar and from what I read just as good. One of the great things about these is that you hear more string and fingering noise that you normally would through the speakers of an amp, so it...what would the word be...it encourages you to work on playing cleaner.

The Transcribe! software allows me to loop a specific portion of a song, slow it down, and filter out the guitars and vocals, to concentrate on learning the bass part.

There are small practice amps that have a mini audio jack in and a headphone jack out, that can be used for doing this also.

4. jboylan67

jboylan67

Aug 10, 2007
    Clifton, NJ
    Thanks, guys. I think the Korg Pandora was exactly what I'm looking for, as I failed to mention that the recorded music I'd be playing along to would generate from my iPod.

Muchos gracias!