1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Guy, Same ole' Questions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kbaxter26, Aug 16, 2012.

1. High, glad to find the forum. After not playing bass since 1981, my interest is back. I played an Electra "violin" bass back then in a couple bands.
    Now, I am back and decided to buy a Squier JBass (used). Totally disappointed!!! Hums, rings, rattles. Had my luthier look at it, he said "JUNK". I do have 20amp Hartke Combo I like.
    What is one of the best values out there for a good new or used bass? I like playing stuff like Rush, Police, 80's punk and contemporary gospel.
    I have NO idea what I am buying anymore.

Thanks!

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The best values out there are the Squier Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe series basses. Do you know what model you picked up?

3. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Yeah if you like the Jazz Bass then go for one of the series BassGod0dmw recommended. I haven't played those myself but I hear nothing but good things about them. For something a little different check out Yamaha basses. Their cheaper RBX models are supposed to be real good for the money.

4. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Squier VM and CV. I played a VM jazz at my local L&M through a Fender Rumble 15 (that I now own), and it was beautiful. I actually liked the tone there better than when I came home with the amp and used my $900 Carvin....:bag:

5. The Sterling by Musicman Ray34 is also a pretty decent bass. The Squiers are kind of hit and miss. I've seen a few that are great, many more that aren't.
    Used, I think the old Ibanez Roadster/Roadstar basses are some of the most undervalued axes out there. A $300 used Roadstar will bury a $300 new Squier.
    And if you are as old as me you can't play anything Squier without singing "The Stroke" in your head whenever you glance at the headstock.

6. +1 for the Classic Vibe series. I once played a Squire CV jazz bass (white w/tort pickguard) while killing time at a Guitar Center, and I was absolutely blown away. I've been a gigging musician for 10 years, and I would have no qualms taking one of those to a gig.

For the genres you mentioned, I would recommend getting a Fender Jazz style (or any 2-pickup), bass - you can get a wide variety of good tones out of one, and they are fairly comfortable to play. Stay away from active electronics - cheaper basses that have active circuitry often use sub-par components. If you want an active bass, you are better off buying a passive instrument and doing an aftermarket upgrade.

7. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    I have not played a Squier bass but I heard that the VM and CV are great basses when you find the right one with the feel and sound you are looking for.

I play a MIA 2000 Jazz bass. Awesome! Also play a Road Worn 57' pbass. Excellent! Motown to the max.

I am also a geezer, (54 yo, I hope I am not offending you).

I also play an Epiphone Viola bass. I love this bass. Under $300.00. It produces the 60's hollow/semi-hollow sound I love to play. Very strong pups. All my lovin' is a good song to test Beatle sound on various Beatle style basses.

Go to a music store and play the hell out of them through the amps on site and decide for yourself.

8. Thanks for all the suggestions. Now I need to decide my next purchase. I found a brand new Indy Custom that feels nice, but I didn't play it through an amp. My luthier sells those and has an older NICE Fender Jbass, but wants $700 for it. Just a bit out of my price range.
    I am 48yrs so not offended. What I find odd, is I can play better now than I did when I was 30 yrs younger. Weird!!!
    Is the Hartke B300 a good combo?
    Thanks ONE AND ALL!!!

9. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I'd say the fact that your luthier has a J Bass for sale himself may make him a tad bit biased as far as calling a Squier Jazz "junk". They're not unless you're talking something in their Affinity line. The CVs and VMs are quality basses.

You can get good and bad at just about any price point these days and just about any thing you buy will need a good setup to play to your liking. Take a $1500 bass off the rack at GC and if it's not setup it's gonna seem like junk too. I play a Squier CV professionally and if it was 'junk" you can bet that I wouldn't.

I've been a bassist for over 35 years and I've played more Fender basses than I can remember. There's only one Fender Bass I've ever owned that was any better than the CV I have now and that was an $1800 Deluxe. Played like a dream but I couldn't handle the active and the noiseless (I called them soulless) pickups so I sold it.

I went out and played new and used MIM and MIA Jazzes before I bought this one and there was not anywhere near enough difference in quality or playability to justify their higher cost. IMHO the Basses are the kingpins of the Squier CV line. Even better built than the guitars.

If you can find a good used CV Jazz for around $250 I'd snap it up. Maybe it will require a setup and maybe not but I doubt you'd be sorry you bought it. :)

10. The Yamaha BB series are seriously good for the money too. You should be able to pick up a BB414/5 or BB424/5 for not a lot - compares favourably with the new Squiers IMHO.

G.

11. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I'm 60 and took up bass again last year after a lapse of at least 20 years and I found the same to be true. Nothing weird about it in my case. I was on a mission to get good enough to play in the church worship band so I actually practiced this time!! :p

The upper end Squiers have been quite good lately so either you got an old and/or beat up bass or your luthier is being a bit biased. The ones I have played in stores over the last year look good, play well, and sound great. I've always found reasons to buy a MIM (Made In Mexico) Fender instead but those here who own recent Squiers say they last well too. All we know about your price range is that $700 is too much but you should be able to find plenty of good Schecters, Ibanez SRs, Squiers, and import Fenders, to name just the few that I am somewhat familiar with, in that price range. Get thee to a Guitar Center or Sam Ash or big local independent store if you have one and try as many basses as you can find in your price range. Once you know which ones you like you can go back to your luthier and see which of those he could get for you.

Ken

12. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    First off, what IS your budget? Is Fender/Squier the only line of basses you're interested in?

If your budget is $500 or less and looking at Fender/Squier I would look in the classifieds/Craigslist for a nice MIM Fender Jazz or Pbass.

If you can venture out of your comfort zone, they Sterling by Music Man make some nice USED right in your price range. Take a trip to your local GC, or mom and pop shop and try some things out.

As far as the combo, I don't have any idea. Are you looking to gig with it? At less than 50 watts and a single 10" speaker, I would say it's only use would be at home rehearsal ALONE. It would not hold up in a band situation. JMHO

13. AFFINNITY! That is what mine is.
    I too am practicing now to become a member of my churches worship team. I use my old standby tunes for practice, and am learning as many new gospel songs as possible. Favorites are Chris Tomlin, Matt Mahre and Need to Breathe.

14. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    +1. I bought a MIM Jazz on Craigslist for $250, and it was my go-to over my Ric for a while.

15. My Budget? Right now only about $400. I am interested in any that play well. I am anxious to get of the road and back home, so I can run to Marshall Music in Lansing and try some of the above suggested units.

16. Keano

Keano

Dec 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Great deals can be had for these in the used market.

G&L Tributes can be had in the $400 range.
    If it's down to Squier, I personally prefer VM to CV, but they're both fantastic.
    Ibanez SR300 is also worth a mention here.

17. mcglyph

mcglyph

Aug 17, 2011
    There is no better budget friendly bang for the buck, than a used Carvin SB5000, or 4000. New 1000 used maybe 500. Simple. So much better than all the mainstream cheap stuff. Sweet.

18. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Affinity explains a lot. I don't know that they are junk (there are those here who love them) but they are definitely "budget" basses. For $400 you can get a new bass from most makes that will serve you very well. If you shop used you may be able to score a much, much nicer bass for that kind of money.

Talk to your church's worship team leader if you have not already. Most likely they will let you sit in at practices as I did for a couple of months. They should also be able to get you hooked up with the music and practice media that they use so that you can work on music that will be useful some day, hopefully soon.

Ken

PS: If you don't know this already, there is a Praise and Worship Band "club" here that you can join.

19. JDjbass

JDjbass

Aug 24, 2007
    956 TX
    SX bass are always a good bet and are a lot cheaper than most other basses. Kurt is exceptional as far as customer service so if you dont like what you got they will take it back with little questions plus they have a multitude of basses to choose from.

www.rondomusic.com:bassist:

20. JDjbass

JDjbass

Aug 24, 2007
    956 TX
    BTW look up SX or Essex basses on youtube to get an idea of tone and how playable they can be