Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New guy with a question - fret size & bridge spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AlexL, Jul 20, 2004.

1. AlexL

AlexL

Jul 20, 2004
    Minnesota
    Hi. I've played guitar for about 15 years, and have now started to learn bass. I have lurked here for a few weeks, and this looks to be a useful place to hang out. I am hoping you can give me some advice in a particular area.

I currently own a Schecter Elite-4, which I think is a great four-string for the money. I am now looking for a five-string, and really like the feel of the Laklands. My budget is directing me into the 55-02 Deluxe range; unfortunately, I am not that thrilled with the looks of it. I don't hate it by any means, and I think I could certainly be happy with it, but when spending that kind of money I want to appease both my eyes and hands, as it were.

Anyway, the two main things I like about the Laklands are the thin frets and the wide bridge spacing. What other options are there out there in the 1,000.00 - 1700.00 range with a similar feel?

I am also particular to a 35" scale and humbucking pickups. My style of music is in the Rush / Dream Theater vein.

Thanks in advance for your help.

- Eric

2. AlexL

AlexL

Jul 20, 2004
    Minnesota
    Wow; no one has any suggestions? :(

- E.

3. Well, your complaint was with the looks of the 55-02, but you didn't really say what sort of look you do like, so it makes it sort of hard for us to give you any ideas.

If you're willing to go used and spend up to $1700, then you could probably pick up most of the mid/high end makes out there. There are a fair number with wide spacing like the Lakland, but the small fretwire is a little more unusual. Things that come to mind right away with wide spacing...

New:
    Cort Elrick Josh Paul model
    Yamaha (lots of wide-spaced models)
    MTD Heir
    WarwickThumb BO Wide-neck

Used:
    Elrick (US)
    Warwick Streamer Stage I
    Zon
    MTD 535 (if you're really lucky)
    Matt Pulcinella Level 5

I'm sure there are lots of others.

Mike

4. AlexL

AlexL

Jul 20, 2004
    Minnesota
    Thanks. I like the more modern looks of the MTDs, Roscoes and Modulus' as opposed to the "classic" stylings of Fenders, G&L, Lakland, etc.

- E.

5. Pretty much all the ones I mentioned would suit you on looks, then. Also forgot to mention the Modulus Genesis, which has wode spacing (unlike the Quantums).

Mike