1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Hagstrom Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by treromantic, Mar 14, 2008.

1. treromantic

treromantic

Nov 1, 2005
    ottawa, on
    I just posted about this in the "which basses do you want to see re-issued thread", but I figure this news deserves its own thread.

http://www.hagstromguitars.com/news_hb8.html

New Hags people. Website says NAMM 2008.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

They look a bit too "Eastwood" for me but the 8 string looks cool and likely isn't very expensive. A friend of mine has a Super Swede guitar and the quality is amazing for a $500 guitar.

P.S. I have always wanted an excuse to play Pearl Jam's Jeremy!!!

3. treromantic

treromantic

Nov 1, 2005
    ottawa, on
    Judging by the prices of the guitars, it may well be possible to get into an HB8 for < $1k. You're right about the other designs, though the FXB has got the same body as the HB8. I think it would look better with the 2x2 "gibson-y" headstock.

4. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I hate to disagree, but I just had a Hagstrom Deluxe F guitar for a few weeks, and I thought the quality was too low for a $500 guitar. The tuners are extremely cheap, the pickups were muddy (typical of cheap import guitars) and the overall feel was not appealing to me. To its defense, the fretwork was perfect.

I think that Hagstrom is introducing amazing designs (and those new basses look awesome), but that one guitar I tried should have had a price of $300. You can tell these guitars cost nothing to make.

My humble opinion and experience, of course. :)

5. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    Yeah, I saw these at NAMM a while back... at first I was really excited to hear they're making basses again. Then I saw them.

What they had on display at NAMM looked a lot more like Hagstroms Ultralux line of guitars than the cool vintage Hags I would have hoped for. I picked one up and messed around with it for a minute... it felt fine, nothing special. The overall look was pretty cheesy. These'll probably run somewhere in the realm of $500, but unless they issue a few more models with pickguards and vintage styling (and no flame maple laminates!) I can't see myself wanting one.

6. treromantic

treromantic

Nov 1, 2005
    ottawa, on
    geez, it's discouraging to hear that they don't feel great

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Didn't they start putting out reissues a couple of years ago? I remember reading about it from NAMM maybe two years ago, and looking forward to seeing the goods, and then nothing really materialized.

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    It looks like they improved the bridge on the 8-string, I had an original from the 60s and hated the cheesy bridge.

9. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    100% agree. I was jazzed about new Hag basses, but what is this crap? These aren't Hagstroms.

10. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    What the heck? Where are THE Hagstrom basses
    What about a Super swede?

11. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I dunno, man... the last one on the right looks kind of nice... I'd like to see a Viking Bass, though... I'm developing an aesthetic thing for hollow bodied basses... wish I hadn't have sold my Artcore a few years back...

12. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    By the way, if you ask me, every single one of Eastwood's basses are cooler looking than these new Hags.

13. Ampeg SVT

Sep 9, 2006
    +1 I love the look of the Eastwoods, especially the Gretsch clone

14. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    :D I own the Gretsch clone!

15. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I like the look of the short-scale pickguarded 8 string, but the rest look... too modern in an ibanez/peavey/kind-of-bass-i-don't-like way. I'm not knocking either of those brands, but that kind of styling doesn't resonate with me, not in the least. I was hoping for a Hagstrom Kent reissue, or a swede, or... something else. At least the blade pickups look distinct, even if they mainly recall early 80's guitars rather than cool 60's mojo.

16. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Awful.

17. I have an H8 from 1967. Amazing bass. Made in Sweden like a true Hagstrom.

Where are these new ones made?

18. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Another +1 for you. Would've been cool to see a reissue of the "swimming pool".

19. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I just got a lefty Eastwood EEB-1.

20. Ampeg SVT

Sep 9, 2006
    :eek: ME WANT