Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New hair and rosin

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by B. Graham, Mar 3, 2003.

1. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I have been out of the upright realm for many years, but I'm getting back into. The new bass is at the luthier's (not sure when it will be back though) and I found a good bow that I've had overhauled.

My questions are (because I've forgotten the answers):

1. How much tension should there be on the bow?
    2. Number of rosin passes to prepare are-haired bow? I'm using Pops right now.

Thanks for your help. Sorry to ask y'all such basic questions.

Bill

2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I have found that tension on the bow is a matter of preference. Tighten it until it is playable, then a little bit more. Try it out. If you aren't happy with the tone, try tightening it a little more. There should always be an inward arc to the bow though (I think - I am no expert).

Also, Pops aint the best thing you could be using. Too gummy - I switched to Nyman's and it made a world of difference. I think you should rosin up from tip to frog, and with Nyman's it seems I can really put a bunch on there and it doesn't adversely affect anything - except maybe the first few stroked are a tad raspy.

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Hmm, lerm,

I've always been taught to rosin from frog to tip. Also, sometimes bows will grab better with less tension on the hair. It is entirely up to the bow. Some play better with less, some with more.

Agree with you on the Nymans. I use Nymans in the cooler seasons and Kolstein Ultra all-weather when it is warmer.

Monte

4. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    oops I meant frog to tip, really I did. At least that's what my teacher showed me.

5. You will know when the tension is just right...

I always rosin from frog to tip - in fact, I've never seen it done the other way around...

Again, you will know when the amount of rosin is right. I think too little is better than too much...

How long is a piece of string?

- Wil

6. Ahuh......right........sure......I hope you are not paying a lot for your lessons.

7. Gabe

Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Sometimes the company puts the hair on backwards. Then you go tip to frog. You can tell if it's backwards if the hair is darker towards the tip then it is at the frog. I'm not really an expert but a luthier told me that's the way it works. Something about the "grain" of the hair.

8. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Just saw this thread...it really depends on the color of the hair. As the hair is growing, the tip end is exposed to the environment over a longer time, collects dirt, gets swished at flies, etc. :) For black hair, this results in the tips becoming lighter in color. For white hair, the reverse is true (darker at the tips). What you want is to have the root end of the hair, which is the youngest and strongest, at the frog.

9. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    try one or two strokes at a time until it feels right, you don't want a sticky mess.

also, rosin warms up as you use it, and grips the string better, so what seems right at room temp may not be right with the heat of the friction when you play.

just wipe everything off when your done

10. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    oldsaw, i am sorry for making a typo. i guess i can't live up to your standard of perfection.