New Hancock

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Marc Decho, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Anybody check out the new Herbie disc ? I saw it at HMV the lineup looks extremely cheesy and lame.....Christina Aguilera ? what ? .....i'm afraid.... :meh: i'll listen to it on amazon this afternoon....what's the deal with talented people hooking up with cornball popstars anyway ?
  2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001

3. say it ain't so!!! would people really sell their souls for the almighty dollar! :crying:
  4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I like Herbie and all, but to see him catering to the Starbucks crowd with the new album is disturbing to me. Add to it that it's with all these pop stars and having seen him on infomercials being the salesman for those Bose wave stereos. Sure, it's ok for a guy to make money, but as for an amazing artist of his stature, it smells an awful lot like "total sell out".
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Christina may suffer from youth and bad taste, but that girl can sing!
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree and I think Herbie has always been looking to pop/funk/rock for inspiration - so firstly with Headhunters, then things like "the New Standards" etc. etc.

I see him as somebody who gets inspired by all sorts of things - Gershwin/Ravel just as much as James Brown and he makes it his own - isn't that what Jazz is all about?

I heard some of it by accident in a Starbucks and was suprised at how good the music they were playing was - then saw the posters about Herbie Hancock...not sure I'd buy it though - there's so much other great music out there to get!! :)
  7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
  8. bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    If someone's going to do a trip like that, I'd rather hear Herbie's product more than anyone I suppose.
  9. no quarrel there, she definately CAN sing, she just chooses to OVERSING everything a la American Idol, that crap drives me nuts!
  10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Herbie did a duet cut with Bonnie Raitt called "Ain't Gonna Let You Break My Heart Again" on one of her old albums that was simply gorgeous. If he did an album with Bonnie, I'd be all over it in a heartbeat. While I feel that Chrisdiva Aguilera is pretty much a cookie cutter R&B dip**** who's not even 1/1,000,000,000th as hot as she apparently thinks she is, she certainly sings better that *itney Sprouts or Marge there is at least a little hope. If someone could post a link to a soundbyte, I'd give it a listen.
  11. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    +1.....When she matures and settles down I think she'll be a mofo. Maybe working with Herbie will help her realize that.

go here to listen:
  12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Kinda weird that nobody seems to mind when a pop singer has a jazz artist as a guest on a recording. Freddie Hubbard and Phil Woods with Billy Joel, Sonny Rollins with the Rolling Stones, Bill Frisell with Norah Jones..... there's a bunch of 'em.
  13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I've heard several tracks -- what I've heard is great, actually. This isn't Maiden Voyage here, but it's still good music. The John Mayer opening track is especially cool. For those who don't know, John Mayer went to Berklee, toured with the Headhunters, and has a blues/fusion group right now with Pino Palladino and Steve Jordan. Pretty neat, eh?
  14. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I actually heard Head Hunters back in late June. Mayer sang a couple of tunes and played very little guitar. He was kind of a "duck out of water." His soloing just wasn't up to par with the other players in the band, The other guitarist Lionel Loueke was very good. Mayer's solos were blues based and really didn't fit the tunes that he was playing over. IMHO I like Mayer better with his own band.

15. checked out the video montage on the site....I like the track with Sting the best so far.....he's a class act all the way....oversingers a la Joss Stone, Aguilera and co. should sit back and take a need for lllla lla la la lalalaallal puke, just my opinion.
  16. Herbie Hancock is no dummy. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't NEED the money. I suspect he saw a valid artistic reason for this collaboration. If nothing else, it's an avenue to allow his music to reach millions of new (younger) listeners who might never have heard of him. So if he generates even a smidgen of interest for himself or jazz as a whole, who's complaining?
  17. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, I was thinking about that lately, and this isn't the first time he's done that sort of thing. "Rock It" was fun for what it was.
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This seems a strange opinion to come up in a discussion about Jazz like why didn't Charlie Parker just stick to playing the tune....why did he put in all that other bebop, overplaying puke... ;)
  19. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I don't think this is about generating interest for Jazz, more than it is generating interest for music. I think Herbie like Miles is about moving forward and not being "stuck" in any one particular place which can be to paraphrase Miles kind of boring(he used stronger terms). He's playing piano and synths across a number of styles and genres. There are some very good cuts on this disc, but of course one would have to have an open mind towards different types of music to appreciate this.