Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Hanewinckel 6-string begun

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geshel, Aug 15, 2004.

1. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    OK, so the ball is rolling on my next Hanewinckel bass. The current specs are:

- 6-string Signature set-neck fretted
    - Draken body style
    - mahogany body w/ striped padauk top
    - maple neck w/ ebony fingerboard
    - custom Bartolini wide-aperture pickups

Attached is a pic of the top wood (with a different body style drawn on it).

The pickups are essentially MV (5-string MM) shells w/ a pair of CJBD pickups thrown into each. Each pickup will have a 3-way on/on/on switch, selecting either coil or both. Each coil is actually two, self-humcancelling. So with a blend pot too, there will be lots of options. :)

It could be a bit of a wait for the pickups - oh well, this is something I've wanted for a while already.

I'm still undecided if I want some sort of face dots on the fingerboard - at least a 12th-fret inlay would be good, but I don't know what yet.

:bassist:

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Oops - top wood picture:

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Awesome! If I hadn't just got some incredible figured walnut for my next custom's top, I'd be jealous....

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    This is gonna be great, geshel. Excellent choices, all 'round. Congrats! :cool:

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Sounds like it'll be a great bass geshel!! Keep us posted!!

6. Wow, this is going to be a real looker - congratulations. Look forward to more pictures along the way.

Regards

Matthew

7. Very nice! Congrats!

What are you expecting that to weigh in at with the mahogany and padauk? (talk about poor sentence structure!!! ;))

Jeff

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    What kind of pre are ya gonna run?

~S~

PS: Those p/u's sound SICK!

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Jeff - I expect it will weigh somewhere in between my two current (fretted: padauk/ebony body, bubinga neck; fretless: mahogany/maple body, padauk neck). According to the bathroom scale, the former is about 13 pounds and the latter 10.5. So, adding frets and using a maple neck (a bit heavier than padauk), maybe 11? The fretted can wear my shoulder a bit after an hour or so, but I never have a problem with the weight of the fretless.

Devilman - the standard Bartolini NTMB2 18-volt is gonna be in there. I'm not using much on-board EQ these days, but that one works for me when I do.

10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Sounds nice.

I've never seen padauk like that before. Did you pick it up yourself, or is it something PH had on hand?

Nice body shape choice, too.

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Something PH had. He's used it on a couple before, Boogiebass has one w/ that kind of top. For me it was between this and some nice shedua, I still feel a bit dumb for passing up this awesome piece of shedua he had last time, this latest piece was nice but not quite so special.

Yeah, I've got to Ceres styles, and the Draken style is tied w/ Ceres for #1 in my book. The Draken is a little "cooler", but the Ceres is more subtle, and I think "the" Hanewinckel body shape.

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Padauk makes a great top. Here's my Pro Nimbus 6 fretless when it was new. Padauk does change quite a lot as it ages. Rather orange at first and then quite rich and dark later. I'll post a current pic of the bass now that it's "mutated" for you, Taylor. When I get some new pics snapped, that is! :cool:

[​IMG]

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Boogie - is that a poly finish, or just a nice shine on the wax? I actually like the look of that bass a little better while it was under construction, a little bit better:

14. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    WOW... I love this top ! :eek:

Peace,
    JP

15. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    ... All rise for the meeting of the Padauk Lovers' Club... ;)

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nope, just Pete's regular oil finish. Color shift may have affected Pete's (or my) pics.

17. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    you got me shopping some Padauk!!

18. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    nice.

19. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I can't wait to hear what you think of those pickups.
    A lot of options in tone :bassist:

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    As promised, here's a recent pic of my Nimbus 6 fretless. Unfortunately, this was taken under totally different lighting conditions than the other pic but you may see how the wood is turning darker:

[​IMG]