Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new Hanewinckel 6-string has arrived!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geshel, Jul 30, 2005.

1. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Wooo! it's here!

- Draken Signature 6-string
    - mahogany body w/ padauk top
    - maple, wenge, and bloodwood neck
    - macassar ebony fingerboard
    - custom Bart pickups: double CBJD coils inside MV shells, with right/parallel/left coil selector switches for each pickup
    - matching wood knobs from THG

It sounds awesome! :hyper: :bassist:

Attached Files:

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    wow is very similar to a LeCompete basses,how much for this bass?

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hanewinckel's web page - http://www.hguitars.com/ - has a price list. This one is a set-neck which costs between the bolt-on and the neck-through, so a Signature 6 set-neck would list at $3450. Mine has a few extra options but with a direct-sale discount I paid pretty close to that.

5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    :eek: ........eh good bye......... :p is a beauty out of my range. :D

6. I wish i could afford something that nice again...I hate you gesh!! :scowl:

oh yea, sweet bass man :D

7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i play lotto today,if i win i ordered two of those,one mine and the other a gift for you. :p

8. Haha, come on lucky numbers! :hyper: :D

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Very nice bass. I've played a few of Boogie's Haney's as well as some at Bass Alone and I like them quite a bit. In fact Boogie's custom 7 string is by *far* the best sounding seven string I have yet to hear. The upper range is mind blowing.

10. I just wonder: isn't that body shape uncomfortable? I'm a skinny fella and would probably bump my rib cage on those edges...

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Not at all - the contours are just where they need to be for me.

12. WOW. That is incredible work! Great great bass, congrats!

13. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    WOW! Beautiful piece! Congrats & good luck!

~S~

PS: What's the string spacing + how do you like the p/u's & elecs?

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sweet, Taylor! May it be all you hoped for... ;)

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The string spacing is the standard - 5/16" at the nut, 11/16" (about 17.5mm) at the bridge. Wider spacing is optional. For me, this is just right.

It'll take me a bit to really get to know the pickups - but first impressions are that I really like them. The electronics are what I'm used to - Bartolini NTMB. But I only use onboard EQ fairly sparingly, I much prefer to get tone changes from pickup and position changes.

Anyway - there are many different great tones in the pickups. Either or both as dual coil -- a range of Stingray-esque sounds from really nasty to more refined. Outside coils -- a hi-fi Jazz tone. Inside coils -- an interesting sound not quite like anything else I can think of. And then, basically four different single-coil pickup selections. The difference between a soloed left or right coil in either pickup is a little subtle but definitely noticeable. The pickups are far more open on the top end than the Bart 'C' coils I'm used to.

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Here's a very rough clip of some of the different pickup settings.

http://home.comcast.net/~taylorsherman/samples.mp3

First half of the clip is fingerstyle, second half is slap. The settings are in this order:

1. bridge pickup, bridge coil
    2. bridge pickup, both coils
    3. bridge pickup, neck coil
    4. neck pickup, bridge coil
    5. neck pickup, both coils
    6. neck pickup, neck coil
    7. both pickups, all coils
    8. both pickups, inside coils
    9. both pickups, outside coils

The playing is pretty sloppy :/ and the mp3 encoding really changed the character of the top few octaves. IME, the very high end sounds most similar to some MTDs that I've heard.

17. notrt

notrt

Jun 29, 2004
    :hyper: the look and layout of this bass are really intriguing. Much like certain of the Marleaux body designs which really ring my bell, too...have you had the chance to play her out in a band setting yet? How's she do with the other instruments?

If you don't mind my asking, what did she run you, and how long did it take for the build?

Thanks---drop dead gorgeous-Congrats!

RC a/k/a "notrt"

18. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    This body design is a bit similar to the Marleaux Consat, yes. If you compare side-by-side pics though, they're pretty easy to tell apart.

For the price - see post #4 above. I waited over a year for this bass, but most of that time was waiting on the pickups. The Bartolinis are a small operation, and there's quite a line for custom pickups.

19. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Oh my god, that's beautiful.

I love the Headstock and the wood going through the neck.