1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New hard case smell, how to get rid of?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bullshark, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Hi, don't know if this is the appropriate forum, feel free to move if not...

I got a new hard case for my Fender a few weeks back. It had a smell inside but I figured it was just because of new material, akin to new car smell...

But the darn smell isn't going away, been a few weeks now, and, what's worst, when I take my bass out it smell like that for a few hours. Not my thing to have my bass smell like a fluffy stuffed animal.

Anything I can do to get rid of that smell?:help:

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    If you have a safe place (like a balcony) where you can put the case outside for a day or two then do that. Leave it open so it airs out properly.

3. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    gig it alot,
    then it can smell like a toilet instead.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

+1 to Christle's suggestion. BTW, Rickenbacker and Carvin are the best-smelling cases IME.

5. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    i actually really like new case smell. ya, try airing it out. doesnt baking soda suck up odor too? u could try that if the simple airing out doesnt work

6. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That would work. Spread the baking soda through out the case, leave it for a few hours then vacuum it out. Make sure you do both sides plus any compartments in the case.

7. the_fooj

the_fooj

Feb 15, 2007
    Chevy Chase, MD
    I personally love that new case smell, I even treid my best to preserve when I got my G&L by keeping it closed all the time.

Anyways, I guess if you really want to get rid of it, just let it air out prefferable outide if possible. Maybe you can try one of those anti-odor sprays like Febreeze?

8. Ok, just left the thing open on the deck outside, I'll see if it work's; jut hope the birds don't **** in it or I'll have another problem on my hands.

If that doesn't work, she'll get the full baking soda treatment, that idea sounds good to me.

Not sure I like the toilet smell idea :eek: 'think I'll sleep on it :D

Febreeze? Wouldn't that be like replacing a smell for another that's worst?

Thank's for the suggestions.

9. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    There are other odour neutralizers such as Detol that may work (use very sparingly, it is almost too powerful). Febreeze has an ordour neutralizer that doesn't smell that would possibly work. I haven't used it so ask around first.

10. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    id try febreeze only if other dry approaches dont work. its good stuff but i wouldnt wanna squirt liquid into one of my cases unless i had no choice.

11. febreeze dries quickly if you don't use too much of it. and how can you think it smells bad? i love the smell of febreeze, but then again the kind i have is meadow something or other scented.

12. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    +1...in the direct sun for as long as possible. Repeat if necessary.

13. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    ozone.

14. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    This thread is starting to sound like "Hints from Heloise".
    Use it for a ash tray and dump a beer in it.

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Older Fender molded cases smell really good. The new ones smell bad.

16. Before or after drinking it?

17. muzikman7

muzikman7

Sep 16, 2004
    Yes

18. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    How about Fabreze or a gauze bag filled with instant coffee for about a week?

19. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    The ultimate solution---Cat pee! :D

20. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    As one who has personally experienced that one, luckily sans bass, I can say new case smell is far preferable!