Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Hobbes, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Hey everyone.

I got a new computer a couple of weeks ago, and because I'm using it mainly for recording I bought another (IDE) Hard Disk to save all my audio files, etc. onto. However, when I connected it and restarted the computer, although it says that the new HD been installed, I can't seem to save anything onto it yet, i.e. it hasn't been assigned a drive (e.g. shouldn't a second HD be assigned the D: drive?). Can anyone tell me how I would go about assigning it to a drive letter (or whatever they're called). Many thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, my computer uses Windows XP.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I know what is wrong, but I have no idea how to cure it in XP.

In other Windows OS'es, you use FDISK.EXE to assign a letter to the drive, then you reboot, and lastly you FORMAT the drive. Again, I don't know the procedures in XP, as I have no idea on how much it differs from older Windows versions in this respect.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  4. I would recommend you get a local shop to install it for you. Pay em $25 and it takes 5 minutes. If you are stubborn, here are some hints:

1. If you are hooking it up to the same channel as your existing drive, make sure the existing drive is set to master and the new one is slave.

2. Enter the BIOS and set all your IDE controllers to Auto detect

3. Go into Administrator Tools fro Control Panel and select disk Administrator. You will see the drive as Disk 1 (Disk 0 is your old disk). Right click the blank area beside Disk 1 and create partition. This will make it show up as D: or E: or F: depending on other drives in your system.

4. Go into My Computer and right click the new drive, select format, and off you go.

This is off the top of my head as I'm not at home right now.

5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    you need to access disk management in XP

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.

In the console tree, click Disk Management.

you should see the drive there.

make sure it is formatted and partitioned, assign it a letter.

should do it.

f

6. Cheers for the replies people. It's all sorted out now anyway. I did try to do it myself but I couldn't make it work, so someone else I know did it in the end. Thanks again.