Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New harmonics I just discovered (for myself)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Did anyone else find those harmonics on the 9th fret through the 11th? One is right above the ninth actual fret (The metal peice), another is about 2/3rds towards the tenth actual fret, and finally about a fifth of an inch or so past the 10th actual fret. The three together (on one string) almost form a V/VII chord

2. KidNamedFord

KidNamedFord

Aug 17, 2003
    MI
    ive always thought that there is harmonices every were on the string that is an equal part of a fraction... just some are really hard to get

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, it's best to think of harmonics in terms of the string itself not the strings relation to the frets.

*every* note has harmonics, it's just given the design of our instrument(tuned in 4ths E-A-D-G) only a handful are prevalent and convenient. So - you have people like Michael Manring who take to altered tunings to increase the natural harmonic range of notes, or people like Steve bailey who have mastered false harmonics.

4. zilla04

zilla04

Feb 11, 2000
    Franklin
    I have recently studied harmonics in my own way. I started out with the A mixolydian scale using open strings(See Below), then after learning Jaco's "Portrait Of Tracy" I started playing around with Fretting notes and playing harmonics of of them ("False" Harmonics?). The first thing I did was to learn how to play a chromatic scale.... I haven't really went any further than that Study wise.... But my playing has definatly been enhanced. Just knowing that anywhere I am to play on the fret board I can get a "complimentary" harmonic (Usually octave or fifth) to the note I'm fretting has helped me greatly.

I'm going to look up stuff online today to further my studies.

A Mixolydian:
    ALL Harmonics

G:____________5___
    D:______5___4___3_
    A:5___4___3_______
    E:__3_____________

5. Dude, harmonics can be played anywhere. The reason that the 4th, 7th, 9th, 12th, etc are so popular is because they ring the loudest there.