NEW harry potter book

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by furiously funky, Jun 24, 2003.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    i got the new harry potter book yesterday, and will start reading it tonight... yay. anyone else??
    anyone not read them, and why?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, I've been reading it too.

I'm about 200 pages in so far.

It's good, a lot more mature than the others.
  3. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    gonna start it tonight or tomorow. I hope its good. I didnt like the movies though.
  4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Im on the third one..

I hear one of the main characters dies in the new one!!

5. Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I like it so far. Im about 11 chapters into it. I like that it's taking a more serious anti-bad guy aporoach. Alos getting more of a view into what the adult magicians do.
  6. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Finished it the day it came out:D Man, it's good. And one of the main(somewhat) characters does die. It's certainly not a children's book.
  7. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Im lucky if i get cover to cover on any book. Hence the fact that i have not ever and probably will not ever read any Harry Potter books.
  8. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I don't. I prefer my magic&sorcery in bit more mature, if you can say that, form. Speaking of, currently waiting for Robin Hobb's sequel to Fool's Errand.
  9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Anyone who thinks the Potter books aren't appropriate, or serious enough for mature readers hasn't read them. They really are fun books, and they cover a lot of themes very well for a wide age group. So far, I think book 5 is a bit much for younger readers, but the series has matured with the characters.

Did anyone else catch the reference to a bass player? :bassist:
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

yup, and I thought of all you guys :p

seriously though, my favorite thing about the HP books is that, while the writing style has matured and the content definitely has matured and gotten a lot darker.

the books still virtually read themselves. :D

Like, though there is A LOT of stuff happening at once, and all sorts of things going on, it is not difficult to fly through the book and break-neck speed and still enjoy it.

and already from reading the 5th book, I doubt any little kids would even like it much, so far a lot of the things that generally appealed to kids are gone, and a lot of the fun magical world is...well not so fun anymore.

But, it's very hard for some people to shake the notion that the HP books have grown up, some people will always consider them little kids books. :rolleyes:
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's cause of the magic.

brad cook
  12. Finished it today, very good. Can't wait for the next one. :)
  13. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I'm about 5 chapters into it. When is the refrence of a bass playrer?
  14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Little further I believe, heh...I just realized...I'm about 400 pages in, but I have no clue what chapter I'm on, I look at the titles but have no clue what number :p
  15. Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    The new book is great! i got it opening night at midnight (i know i'm a big dork). Me and my friends (all of us are on the football time so it was a little embarrasing) went to the bookstore and got our copies. I'm in the 400s and its great so far.

PS. Anyone notice that harry's hormones are really kicking in in this book?
  16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ginny and harry are gonna make babies when they grow up, and so are ron and hermione.

Oh ya... and I still need to go and get the book... cause i want to read it, cause i love harry potter... and i watch the movie every monday i am at my dads.
  17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

I'm about 570 pages in now, oooh things are starting to heat up.

I'm purposefully trying to take it slowly though, a friend of mine finished it in like 13 hours(got it the day it came out too), and was left desperately wanting more, so rather than befall that same fate I'm trying to take the book slowly and really savor it....but at 570 pages in(roughly I forget exactly) I fear that I am going to be done very soon(950 or something total) :D
  18. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    So I take it that they already are pairs? Thanks for spoiling it for me, Mikey, since I haven't yet gone through even the first book.

Ponder, can I substitute watching the two movies for reading the first books, if those two are the less mature ones? Anyone who's familiar with both the movies and books, will I miss anything important? :confused:
  19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You won't miss any crucial details really, but the movies aren't THAT good, especially compared to the books.

even though the first few are rather childish, they are still written very well, and well, they are short, I wager you could finish the first two books in two days, maybe three.
  20. Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I can't help but notice that none of the main charachters seem to be enrolled in a music ed. program or even jam on their hogsmead weekends.

Apparently absence of arts funding is not an exclusively muggle problem.