Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New head for the Mesa. One in mind..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by popinfresh, Mar 17, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ultimately, I'd love to own an Acoustic Corp. 360 one day, but been hard to find, i started getting interested in the Thunderfunk. Now, the tone i'm looking for is everything from JPJ's thumpy bassy tone on tracks like dazed and confused to cutting punch (I need to cut through two guitars in an old school hard rock band, zeppelin/sabbath style). I also want some nice attack and grit, like Chancellor of tool (I may need to use effects etc for this though i suppose). And just 'in your face' sort of flat punch like claypool. The cab i'm using (If you don't know :eyebrow: lol ) is a mesa 1516 (Also SWR 15" for band pracs).

Do you guys reckon the thunderfunk could fit the bill? I'm sure it could get nice smooth, thumpy bass tones, just not sure about more attack.. I play alot of slap, tap on my own (Playing hamm/wooten etc and my own stuff) and fingerstyle/slap in the band.

Also, does this amp have much headroom? I need something LOUD.
    What do you guys think?

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Bump.. Everyone hates me :p

3. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Did you ever get any input on whether the Thunderfunk would do what you want? Let's bump this thread back into view. I too am interested in TF head.

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I got a few comments back from people. Not many. It seems it could get the nice thumpy bassy tone i'm looking for. But not really the grindy attack that i'd also like. I'm still interested in it, but i'm leaning towards the Mesa's because i would like a little bit of tube o/d.

Dave's a great guy though. Spoke to him a couple times and said he'd even give me a few spare parts as if it busted, it'd cost to much to send it back to him and back out to me again. So any parts i couldn't get locally, he'd put some spares in. Then i could just take it to a tech here and get it fixed.

If i don't get one for my next amp, i'l definently end up owning one i think. Right now i'm looking at a Basis 2000 or Bass 400+.. And i'm stuck on what to get (i've only tried out a M-Pulse 600 and BB750, as much as i'd love to try these two amps, i can't :( )

5. Faded

Faded

Dec 26, 2004
    Santa Barbara
    Hey! It's you! Too bad I can't help ya.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Never played through a TF (though I want to), but for the style you play, I'd recommend some major tubage. Oh, bump :p

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    *I just posted this in the other thread, but here*

Hey guys, heres some clips of the band to give you an idea of that old school rock i'm talking about. The first link is our older account with live songs. The second link is studio stuff (I wasn't happy with my tone , story behind it).

http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=20225

http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=22319

That's the main band.. And the main thing i want the tone for..