1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Head help!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MattyH, May 16, 2011.

1. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Hey all. I need my trusted friends here on TB to help me out. I'm currently running a Hartke LH1000 and an old Transient Attack HA3500 through an Ampeg 410HLF and sometimes for smaller jobs, an SVT 1x15. The problem is, after asking around and research, the pairing of these creates an unwanted hiss, due to the "hot highs" coming through the horn on my HLF. So, I'm thinking about switching heads. I need feedback on my list! Thoughts, negatives, positives, good pairings, bad pairings, personal experiences, other suggestions, whatever! Go nuts. I don't know if it's the 12ax7's that push some hiss through or not, but if you've got some suggestions for that existing problem, scream them out. Now, the list (in no particular preference order)

MarkBass SD1200
    Gallien Krueger MB800
    Gallien Krueger 1001RB - II
    Ampeg SVT7 Pro
    Genz Benz GBE 750

I'm in a wedding band, but sometimes with certain rooms and situations, I can't have PA support. A big seller with me is HEADROOM! I need an amp that can really deliver. My Hartkes aren't bad at all, just a little too noisy, and IMO not rated quite accurately. I need power, but silence! No hiss, no messing around. Help me decide! I'm always buying and selling equipment, because I'm never satisfied. Please help me decide on a true work horse professional amp that'll match my cabs, give me beautiful tones, and that I can hang onto!

2. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    +1 On the 1001RB II.... it has plenty of headroom....

3. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Awesome. I mean, I run my Hartke un bridged mono at about 500 watts, but I feel I'm cranking it. I didn't think I'd need to for such a powerfully rated head. But that seems to be the problem. Hence the hissing. It's reliable and the price was amazing, and definitely a wonderful amp, I just feel like I gotta step it up a notch.

4. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Bump

5. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Bump for some advice, suggestions, experiences, do's and don'ts. Buys and don't buys!

6. I own a 700rbii. I'd go with the 1001rbii because you can find one used here for probably $350 and it has plenty of power and tone.

7. Can you attenuate or turn off the horn? Might save you a bunch of money.

But yeah, GK 700 or 1001RB both kill.

8. Just wondering where the volume knob is when you say "cranking it". That ampeg 4x10 cab should be 4 ohms. If you are running the LH1000 in bridge mode, we are talking 1000 WATTS!!!! I have the same head and the Hydrive 4x10 cab, which is 8 ohms, and i bridge mine for 650 watts. My volume knob has NEVER seen past 5 before i am too loud. I also play with/without pa support and some weddings too.:confused:

9. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Yea I don't keep it bridged. Should have mentioned that. I get nervous about blowing speakers. I usually don't need it that loud anyway. Also, what I meant to say, was that I crank the highs, and that's whats giving me the hiss. Especially with the "Brite" engaged. I've read it's just the "hot" highs these Hartkes have. And as you know, mix in the existing hiss along with some of the venues dimmer lights and its a recipe for disaster. It can get pretty loud.

10. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    To better answer your question, with my 62 Jazz, I have the volume at about 12-1 o clock. But that's just because it's a verrryyyyy low output bass. My other Jazz only needs the volume up to about half that. And again I'm UN bridged. When I get my highs up to about 11 o clock on any bass, enter the hiss.

11. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    I can. I'm glad you mentioned that. I technically CAN do that, but I won't. I've had to do it to get through some gigs. Sure, it cuts the hiss out completely, and it's dead silent, BUT, no matter what I set my levels to on my head, it sounds like garbage. Unless it's all the way off, it'll hiss with the highs. And if it's all the way off, goodbye tone.

12. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Bump

13. Going by what you've stated it sounds like a combination of gear. Low output bass means more volume required to hear it which in turn brings any unwanted noise louder along with the volume. Its odd for both heads to have th same hissing issue as they are two different sounding heads. Have you tried a different cab or bass yet?

14. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Is it safe to bridge the head using just the one 410?

15. That's exactly the way i run mine. Larry Hartke approved. I originally ran an ampeg 4 ohm 115 bridged. That cab was just plain heavy so I swapped it out for the Hartke hydrive and haven't looked back since.

16. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    I'm gonna try that. Maybe I'll get some good results from it. If Larry approves then that's all I need. If you could run a 1x15 bridged safely I'm sure the HLF can handle it. I was always just too nervous to run it that way. But with that kind of power I probably wont need to crank any of the settings, making it unsafe. Thanks for the quick response!

17. No problem! Bring back the results!

18. Thumpking

Thumpking

Sep 14, 2010
    Fender Bassman Pro 300. All the headroom any man could ever want.

Yeah, its heavy. But has been a tank.

19. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Yea, a little too big to be lugging around to weddings too. Unfortunately I carry most of our PA, my gear, and our cable bags in my Jeep. So I need a head that I can put into my rack haha. If space wasn't an issue, I'd probably get the SVT CL

20. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Ok, tried the Hartke in bridge mode. Way too noisy, and I wasn't getting crazy power like I thought I would. But I don't think the head is my problem. All the heads I was trying were all 12ax7 pre amp heads, so I plugged in 2 solid state heads. The hiss remained with the highs up. So, I think this thread was pointless, because now I'm looking at a horn problem in my cab. So I'll have to make a trip with my extended performance plan to Guitar Center and get it looked at!