1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Head or Preamp pedal ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tonysplash, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Tonysplash

Tonysplash

Oct 1, 2017
    Hi ! First post here but been here a lot in the past year. I've been playing bass for a few years now, nothing professionnaly but been in a few bands and about a year ago i started recording. I'm getting better every week and wanted to know your opinions about something.

I currently have a recent(ish) Peavy TNT115 that I use when I do small shows with my band but i also use the DI out. In band practice I only bring my tuner and a fuzz pedal that has d.i out and plug into the mixer and run it through the monitors (Can't ). I really like the D.I option because my amp is a pain to move around as i dont have a car.

What do you think is a better option for both live/practice sound and also quiet recording ?
    AMP head with a d.i out(was think of a eden WTX264) or a pedal preamp (darkglass or sansamp BDDI)

Other suggestion accepted !

2. In my mind you are required, as a member of an ensemble, to be responsible for getting your sound out to the audience. You cannot always rely on there being a sound guy at the gig. Same goes if you carry your own PA. Putting a bass through the PA requires a larger system, read expense, subwoofers. Things can and do go wrong at the gig. There have been times when my amp has had to carry the PA. It’s a pre/power system so I can devote one channel, if required, to another purpose.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    What do mean (Can't)? Your post is a little confusing.

4. Tonysplash

Tonysplash

Oct 1, 2017
    Sorry forget about the (Can't) dont know what happened there.

Also i'd say my main goal is to have something that i can plug in my interface directly in my interface to do some quit recording for scratching up ideas but i could also bring to practice and get a good sound out of in practice, in shows i can always use my amp

5. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    What's your recording setup?

6. Tonysplash

Tonysplash

Oct 1, 2017
    Simply a Focusrite 2i4 and a D.I box. I have a few mics for my guitar cab too I could use for recording my bass amp but i really want to be able to do it silently so i can mess around at any time of the day.

The ideal thing would be something that could fit on my desk and easy to travel with. That's why i tought about a eden amp head. They are somewhat compact and have a D.I out. But then again always wanted a sansamp BDDI.

7. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Sorry, might have missed it, but what's your budget? I'd definitely say amp, but while the Darkglass amps are a little pricey, you might be able to kill both birds with one stone with something like a VT Bass 500 and an inexpensive used cab.

eriky4003 likes this.
  8. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
  9. Tonysplash

Tonysplash

Oct 1, 2017
    Mmmm lets say around 500$

10. Tonysplash

Tonysplash

Oct 1, 2017
    I like that one will look into !

11. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Around $260

12. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Henretta Emerald Prince is inexpensive and will work wonders for you.

13. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    Hiho,get yoursdelf a Behringer BDI21 the sansamp clone .I got mine s/h 10 years ago and it works a treat still.It is gigged every week does practices,anyway a lot of use and it still works perfect.It doubles as a DI box if you prefer and you can just plug into PA through the XLR or use the 1/4 jack

14. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Mesa Subway D.I.

15. darkglass all the way b7k .. I was hesitant at first . but now id recommend to anyone.

16. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Preamp is cheaper. I loved the Darkglass B7K as a standalone preamp and also the Sansamp VT. Tonehammer isnt bad either. I have long term used a BDDI in my rig, but I have never liked it as a standalone DI. Mesa DI is probably killer (as all MB products).

17. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Used VT Bass DI. that is one of several on GC's used website for $119. It will cover your need for a decent amp sim, a decent DI, and may cover your need for a separate fuzz).

18. Mesa subway or subway di/pre would be perfect for this I love mine I'm only upgrading because I need two channels and I miss tube warmth so im opting for a verrellen meatsmoke preamp

19. Tonysplash

Tonysplash

Oct 1, 2017
    So far im either going with the:
    Tech 21 VTDI because its basically de BDDI with mid and cab sim
    B7K
    MESA SUBWAY DI(the subway head seems sick but $ for my need i think)

20. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I know that I recommended it earlier, but the VT Bass 500 is basically a VTDI with a 500w class D power section. Looks like some online retailers are selling it for $450 at the moment - that's for a full amp... new.

B7k on its own goes for $330, and Subway DI is like $230.

Sure, I'm a bit biased towards the VT as a VTDI user, but coming from your rig, that VT Bass 500 would give the the best platform to expand in the future past your TNT with nothing more than your choice of inexpensive cab. Just my 2c.