new head stock pics

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by toonman, Sep 15, 2005.

1. I started on my third bass. It's a 32" scale 29 fret bass, it has walnut, padauk, bocote, curly maple, rosewood, and ebony. here are some pics of the head stock. I'll post more pics when I get more done.
  2. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    very unique. Looks great
  3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    I really like the look of that shape. Very cool. And pretty original of you to position the headstock front veneer with the grain in that direction. It looks nice.

A question, though: Have you considered the string paths with the tuners mounted in the marked positions? It seems to me that is may look a bit klodgy, unless you move the E string tuner down and to the left, so its angle is more to the left instead of to the right, "fighting" the A string.
  4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Good point. Does it look anything like this?
  5. Thanks for the replies. In responce to your questions, I havn't bought the tuners yet to align them up. I was tring to get an idea where they might go. Once I have the tuners I'll align them so the string paths aren't fighting each other as you put it. The body is going to be a carl thompson style scroll bass. here is the body before the cuts. I'll keep posting pics of the progress.
  6. Rogier

Feb 2, 2004
  7. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I really like it. I always have trouble with the headstock. I want to be different but not an eyesore. You did this wonderfully. Great job. Do you have a design for the body though that we can see?
  8. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Nice stuff, i dig...
    What woods are you using on your body? Have I correctly identified walnut, maple, wenge and bloodwood? or is the red stuff also padauk? Can't wait to see some cut out body design shots.

edit: make that bocote instead of wenge. i think?
  9. great headstock, just a really cool design.
  10. T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Wow, a rainbow bass !
  11. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer

it's a bass clef shape , good job!
  12. The body is going to be very close to the rainbow bass shape and design. I wasn't tring to copy the rainbow bass board for board, I wanted one that resembled it. I just cant stop making the body shape like carl thompson's basses. I like the shape too much. The last bass I made was a carl copy too. It's my favorite bass I own. its a 37" 6-string fretless loaded with a single EMG-DC pick-up. My main goal was to come up with a signature headstock I can use for most of my basses I build. phil mastro got all the woods right. it is padauk, not bloodwood.

here are a couple pics of my first two basses, some of you might have already seen them.

If you want to see some detail pictures of my 6'er, check it out on carls website, under pictures, misc, lookalikes. it's down towards the bottom.
  13. here's some pics of the body cut out ready to carve and the frets put in.