Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New head. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Sep 8, 2003.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm getting a new head soon. I want something clearer than what I currently have. I'm going to keep my Peavey 410TXF for now, at least.

I have $560 to spend and am able to trade in my current head (Peavey Firebass II 700) which is has no cosmetic scratches/tears and no functional problems either, so I'm expecting to get at least $200 for it, which would put me at $760 at least, which is enough for a lot of heads.

I'm considering these so far:

GK 1001RB
    GK 800RB
    GK 700RB-II
    Peavey Pro 500
    Ampeg SVT-350H

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
    I'm looking for something to help me get a clear, slightly warm, punchy, deep; intimate tone. I don't like distortion, so I'd rather not have that.

Edit: I play in a rock band (punk with some clean parts). I slap occasionally but largely play fingerstyle, with a couple chords/doublestops thrown in.

I'll add the SWR 350x but when all the SWR stuff I've played has gotten a very mid-scooped tone for me.

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    No one has played any of these heads? I find that hard to believe. :meh:

3. My son will be selling his GK 800RB for $525 + shipping. It's like new with the box and manual. It's been in a rack case since day two. He decided to go for a amp/pre-amp setup. If interested contact me at 6goodwin@optonline.net

BoB/335

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'll certainly keep that in mind, Bob, thanks for the offer. :)

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    After only 2 1/2 hours in the middle of the night? Impatient, aren't we? ;)

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You have got to add both Eden and Mesa Boogie to your short list. You will probably end up having to go used in that price range, but you will find a number of posts in the archives recommending Eden and Mesa Boogie heads. I happen to really like both of them, but you will certainly find others who lean more heavily towards one than the other. ;)

I have seen M-Pulse 600's going in your price range on ebay. That would be a great head for your needs, it sounds like.

Tom.

7. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    For clear...find a good used SWR SM-400. Of the GK amps, look toward the modern ones...the presence control helps out and isn't on the 800RB...that's the lowest power one, too.