Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davetsbass, Apr 9, 2001.

1. davetsbass

davetsbass Guest

Mar 24, 2001
    burnt hills NY
    yea i have around $500(US) to spend on a new head, i want something with more tone adjustiment abilities, i like a deep sound but not muddy.. any suggestions.. its not that i need more power just more options.. so maybe even a preamp

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm going to take advantage of the "around $500."

My rackhead-type Carvin R600, ($560 + shipping) has as many or more tonal adjustment possibilities than anything on the market. As Bass Player said in a recent review, it's a knob twiddler's dream. And all the knobs, switches and sliders actually DO affect the sound, especially if you have 2 cabs to bridge it into. The R series I have has a tube preamp and the new R series has a tube emulator preamp. I've not heard it, but I've seen no complaints from any owners here or at the Carvin board. (Hell, Aguilar just started using the technology, and they don't make compromises).

Another rackhead possibility is an Ampeg B2R, (again, about $560 + shipping, depending on where you get it, unlike the Carvin). It doesn't have as much control as the Carvin, but it has 3-band tone controls and a 9-band graphic like the Carvin. It is half the weight of the Carvin, (15lbs. vs. 30lbs.), but the Carvin has a separate power amp for low and high frequencies which may be what is the reason for the weight factor difference.