Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Aug 16, 2001.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Guys,
    I just got my Carvin PB200-15 back today from being serviced. I took it practice tonight and it sounds as great as it did before it died. While it was in service I picked up an Ampeg 810 used from 200 bucks, now I need a head for it. My best option right now is to sell this combo and put that cash toward a new head. My question is how much can I get for a one year old Carvin PB200-15, and what head should I get... I've been considering the Peavey Nitrobass, but some other people have mentioned the GK heads and I've also looked at the Ampeg B2R. Any opinions on these... Price is one of the biggest issues in this decision...

Dirk

2. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    if you go with peavey go with a firebass 700 great heads I love mine :)

3. All heads you mention would be sweet, it just depends on the tone you're after, and how much you can get one for.

From my experience:

GK400RB = too gutless IMO
    GK800RB = good power, punk tone
    Ampeg B2R = good power, Ampeg SS tone (I reckon the 800RB is more powerful)

Peavey stuff, while i've never had any real experience with the bass stuff, is pretty good whack for the buck, although their "character" IMO is nothing special.

Being a tubehead, i've gotta say that it'll sound best with a vintage tube head! :D

4. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    The GK 800RB would be a very nice setup. I have seen a lot of bands with the Ampeg 8x10 and GK 800RB rig. Sounds good for punk and hard rock! Pretty loud too! Not to mention, those GK heads can be found for pretty cheap.

5. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    Does the Gallien 800RB have the same tonal options as the Ampeg B2R? As the 800RB only has a 4 band tone control, how does this rate to the B2R's 3 band tone and 9 band graphic? This question relates to punk style.

6. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    If you're a "true" "punk", then you don't need that 9-band EQ, just more junk to get screwed up in the middle of a gig.
    The 800RB (which I adore, along with the 400RB, which has plenty of guts), has some pushbutton voicing filters that offer you low cut, contouring, and high boost in addition to the four band active EQ.
    In short, the 800RB has more tonal options than the B-2R.
    The B-2R is a very basic amp. This is not saying it's a bad amp, it just sticks with a single general tone, which is already a winner. Although the B-2R is a 350W head, it is more comparable in terms of features to the 400RB-III, which although rated at 240W, has no problem competing with the B-2R, because Ampeg is a little more generous with their specs.

I prefer GK heads, but be forewarned that the Ampeg sound and the GK sound are very different, so be sure to try out both.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Personally, I would take a Carvin R1000 over any of the heads mentioned so far. YMMV, of course.

8. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I think the GK 800RB still would have better tone than the Carvin. I used to own the R600, great for the money, but I like GK sound better. Of course, this is only in my experience and opinion!

9. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The R1000 is a good head too, if you are in need of more power over better tone.

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'll just list my 3 favorite heads...

Peavey Firebass 700 II
    G-K 700RB
    G-K 1001RB
    Ampeg b5r

With an 8x10, I suggest something that you can bridge. The 800RB, if I'm correct only pulls 100 watts @ 8 ohms, which is what the 8x10 is (i believe... cold be wrong)

So I don't think the 800 RB would be a good idea to run through that... a 2000RB would work nicely though... 1000 watts bridged... It'd power that 8x10 but good. :)

11. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    for not too much money i'd check out the GK 400rb. it'd be plenty loud thru an 8x10. also the peavy firebass, ampeg b2r, and swr workingman's 4004. they all have different tonal characteristics. i'd prefer the GK.

the 800rb has 300 watts (i believe at 4 ohms) for the lows, and 100 watts at 8 ohms for the highs. two amps with a crossover! i don't think you have the option of bridging the amps, though.

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

In all honesty, I believe the Ampeg 8x10's an 8 ohm cab, meaning with the 800RB you can only plug it into the "highs" jack, which would make it only 100 watts.

:)

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Oh yeah... As I said before... my 3 favorite heads are:

Peavey Firebass II 700
    G-K 1001RB
    G-K 700RB
    Ampeg b5r

In all actuality though...
    G-K and Ampeg sound nothing
    alike, to make a generlization...

Ampeg's are generally warm.
    G-K's are generally EXTREMELY clean.
    Peavey's clean, but not like as clean as
    a G-K head. It's all about prefrence.

Just go out to a store and try all the head's you're
    considering... It's the only way you can get a good opinion on all of them...

By the way... If you decide on a Peavey head, fork out the extra $$$ to get the Firebass... It's worth the extra $50.

14. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    If you are operatiing the 800RB through full range mode rather than biamp, it runs at 300W @ 4 0hm.

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No no no, that's not what that means. You can always plug an 8 ohm cab into an amp rated to handle 4 ohms, you just can't always do the reverse.

16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    As my dad used to say, that's what makes horse races. I've played tons of 800RBs, and *for what I personally like* none of them were half as good as either of the Carvins I've owned.

Variable mileage indeed. One of the cool things about this forum, when expressed with basic courtesy and respect.

17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

And how many watts do you think it would produce? Still 300 when you double the ohms? nope.
    Maybe 150 watts. Which wouldn't be anywhere near enough wattage to power an 8x10.

That'd be 18.75 watts per speaker... That's definatly under power it.

18. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I think I'm sold on the Peavey. Last night I played through a guy's DeltaBass, which is basically the same preamp w/ less power and it bumped my 810 pretty good and had a good tone for what money it costs. So I can only imagine what a the Nitrobass or Firebass would do.. I had to turn down the Deltabass to 5. Anyways, hopefully soon enough I'll have a head and all will be solved.

Dirk

19. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I love my Ampeg B2R, the sound is great, and I believe any head without an EQ is useless. Plus Ampeg is a great name.

I'm just an Ampeg kinda guy, nothing else comes close.

20. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    All ampeg 8x10's are 4 ohms. 8, 32 ohm speakers all in parallel. That would give you 300 watts out of the 800RB. I have no experience with any of the other heads mentioned. I've always been suprised by the GK 800 and 400 RB's. Good luck with whatever head you get. You have a great cabinet to start with. Anything sounds pretty good through that.