1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ribafish, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Eden Wt800

10 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. TC RH750

9 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. Markbass LMT800

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  4. Mesa MPulse 600

10 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. Genzbenz Streamliner 900

21 vote(s)
    24.7%
  6. Genzbenz Shuttle 9.0

6 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. Genzbenz Shuttlemax 9.2

9 vote(s)
    10.6%
  8. Gallien-Krueger 2001Rb if I can find it for the price, or 1001

6 vote(s)
    7.1%
  9. Something else(tell me)

16 vote(s)
    18.8%
  10. Nothing and/or carrots

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. My current setup is Hartke Ha3500 into trace elliot 1048h.....soundwise the setup is fine, I would just like to have a bit more power, because 240w into 8ohm isn't that much and I have to push the damn thing to 5 on practice....the cab is rated at 800w rms, so it can take a lot more power....so, I'm looking to get something that gets me around 500w on 8 ohm, so I have a bit more headroom. The budget is set around 600€, I could go higher if needed and something really awesome came along, but I would rather not push it...too much:D

So, the options I have found till now are(used gear ofcourse):
    Eden WT800
    TC RH750
    Mesa boogie pulse 600
    I am pretty sure i saw a markbass 800 somewhere for around that price tag
    genz benz streamliner 900 or shuttle 9.0 or shuttlemax 9.2
    maybe GK2001rb
    Euphonic Audio iAmp 800

As I said, generally i like the sound now, but want more power/headroom and would also want to try something different. I'm also open to new ideas/offerings. So, what should i get? Any toughts at all? Should I even get someting new? All inputs are welcome=)

EDIT: I found the iAMP 800 just after i posted the thread and made the poll, so I can't include it in the poll....so, the something else counts as a vote for iAMP, and/or something else(tell me what).

2. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I am not going to recommend any amps since with out knowing what you are looking for in terms of sound it is hard to recommend. If you like the sound you have now then get something that will be similar. Now i will tell you that just because your cab is rated for 800watts means nothing!!...You crank up the lows on that head you have now and give her some volume and them speakers will be farting right now!! I find a lot of times when i am practicing esp in a small space i tend to use a hell of a lot more volume the i do in most live situations...crazy as that sounds it happens something about small practice room that suck the volume right out of your amp!!...Now all that being said I love a lot of watts!! as it is right now i am running a carvin B2000 which puts out 700watts @ 8Ohms and 1300@ 4 ohms. So i do understand what you mean by saying you want clean head room. I am just saying dont by a 800watt head think that because your cab says 800 watts that it will handle it when you crank up. you will have speaker parts from here to the next country!! Most ratings on cabs are just a thermal rating at which the voice coil melts and will fart out with less the half of that power!! So in the end what i am saying is buy a head because you like the sound and it has clean head room but dont think you are going to use all of it because your cab "says" it can!!I have tried mark bass heads they are nice so are GK... Right now i as i said i am running a carvin. It is Very Clean and loud not to mention light and cheap!! Let your ears be your guild!!;) Cheers mate all The best!!

3. Well, If its rated at 800w rms it should take peaks of over that. I'm not planning on putting all 800watts into the cab, but as I said, I would like to have a bit more headroom, I would rather have the master volume at 3 than 5. I would also like to try something new. The hing is that I can't try most of the heads I listed. If I could, I wouldn't need any help deciding.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You'd be wrong about that, sorry. The 800w rating means that's how much wattage it'll take before the voice coils in the speakers blow. So that is an absolute maximum, and the speakers will start to fart out at way lower levels. Generally 400-500w is the best you can expect to put into a 410 before it starts farting out.

5. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    500 W into 8ohm is pretty thunderous, and about the max I'd push into that cab.

Since you like the tone of the current setup, I'd recommend the ShuttleMax (or just the Shuttle if money becomes the limiting factor) as it has a pretty modern sound to it, too, although it throws a little more power. It also has a deeper, more authoritative, better articulated bottom end. I think you'll love it.

6. You COULD just about pick up a new Genz Shuttle 9.0 in the sales before they bring out the new version, (about £550 new). That is a bargain.

Out of those, I like:

Shuttle 9.0
    Max 9.2
    Streamliner 900
    TC RH750

If you go Markbass, leave it at the LM3/F1 or F500. The higher powered amps have a different tone, and for me, it isn't that great.

7. troutbum22

troutbum22

Dec 8, 2011
    Clemson, sc
    One word...Carvin

8. Well, even if the amp is capable of putting out more than 500w@8ohm i wont be pushing more, as I am against putting it to the max(tube poweramps excluded, but I don't like tubes in my poweramp section, so no worries here). If it can put 800w, great, it will have headroom, besides I don't really see myself in a situation where I would need to put 800watts into one cab.
    I'm going to try the rh750 I managed to find near me and the wtx500, which i think should sound close to the wt800.

9. If you like your sound I would recommend finding a matching cabinet to the one you have. You will get more head room from the wattage bump to your head, and you will gain more volume with more speakers instead of more wattage alone. Your current cab will still have the same limitations as it does now, it will still fart out at the same point regardless of how much power your head can supply.

10. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Plenty of power and features. Extremely versatile and provides ample 8 ohm power along with the ability to go with any speaker changes you may decide to try.

11. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I think the LMIII/II with that analog back end sound so much thicker IMHO then the digital ones.

I'm thinking the LMIII (As a result I selected other)
    You will not be getting a ton more headroom, but what you will get is very usable.

Jimmy is correct you start pushing more then 400 to 500 watts into a 4x10 it can start to do some funky things (except for the Acme B4 which can use it because its not that efficient cabinet on the market, but it makes up for it in lows)

Good Luck and post your results

12. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Thats not a bad suggestion as well.
    I'm really impressed with these folks.

13. jhfishn

jhfishn Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Mays Landing, NJ
    I have had the WT800 for years (I had the first version) and now my son is using it. This has been and incredibly reliable and great sounding amp regardless of what style and or cabinet I was using it for.

However .............. you knew it was coming :eek:

As my son now has that superb amp .... I have moved on to the Aguilar AG500 and I absolutley love this amp!

I have it paired with 2 DB112's adn have used it with a DB212 and DB410 as well as a a GS212

I will have to say that in my opinion it didn't seem as willing to be as cooperative tone wise with differetn cabinets. That could be just the type of sound I look for but the Eden had a huge amount of tone shaping possibilities.

But .............. I love my Aguilar and would'nt trade it for anything ..... well maybe an Aguilar 751 ...... but that's it! :D

Good luck on your search. From what you've listed I'm voting for the Eden! :p

14. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    More power = new amp. More volume = more and/or new speakers (efficiency is key).

I voted the GK but would also recommend the 700RB-II. Plenty of volume and power plus it sounds great and is a quality amp.

15. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I have had so much great success with the Genz Benz gear on all sorts of gigs. Small to large..... And their CS is so good and backed up by a huge community it is a no brainier for me.. Genz ShuttleMAX 9.2 would be a good choice for your considering what you were using... and it is a HUGE upgrade.... if you want less EQ and knobs with big fat sound the Streamliner 900..... just my 2 cents

16. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    While not my personal choice......I voted the WT800 for it's ability, flexibility, reliability, and easier access to repair than some of the other choices. Having used them (but never owned one) - I have to say they work with for many rigs and tastes dontknow.

17. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    This

18. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    If that is a list of used amps you are looking at, why not go check them all out?

Except the TC, you can pass on that one, it won't do it for you if you want more power and play a five string. I just tried one and sent it back.

I also tried the Carvin BX 500. That's a amazing amount of amp for under $400 US. The eq was very flexible and then there's the graphic eq. Based on that, I picked up a Carvin HD1500 power amp. 1500 watts bridged at 4 ohm. For $300. I got a lemon on the first amp they shipped, and Carvin was super quick to help me out, I had a replacement within a week.

I'll vouch for the GK 1001 rb 2 as well. Plenty of power and rock solid reliable. 700 watts at 4 ohm. You should be able to find a used GK and still have a few euros for towards another cab.

19. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    gk mb800

20. TraceOnBass

TraceOnBass

Sep 6, 2011
    Upstate, NY
    I owned Hartke, Markbass and currently use the Iamp 800. I can't speak of the others (gk/carvin) but my next amp will def be Iamp pro. Built like a tank, made in the USA and customer service that beats many many others.

+1 EA Iamp