Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new headbanger's ball

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by neptoon, May 11, 2003.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i didn't get any details, because i saw the advertisement for it on mtv2 last night as i was walking out the door. it debuted (again :D ) last night at ten o'clock. did anyone catch it? what did ya think?

2. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I saw a few videos on there. Seemed pretty good to me :) I caught the end of Disturbed, and Mudvayne's new video of not falling was the next. I didn't watch all of it because the original back to the future was on :D But seemed decent, except being hosted by Metallica :rolleyes: They seemed pretty egotistical and a bit annoying.

3. i watched most of it. i thought it kinda stunk. arse-loads of commercials ( as is to be expected on MTV). and there weren't many good videos; there's no good metal coming out these days.

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wrong, Youve just got to weed threw the crap...

5. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Yes, I did see that it was coming back w00t! Who is hosting it? I am so happy about it

6. Sure there is, they just dont play it on MTV.

7. you know what i mean...i shoulda said there's no good MAINSTREAM metal... if any mainstream metal at all.

they said rob zombie's hosting next week. hopefully they play some white zombie vids.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I watched it for an hour, and threw up my hands in disgust. For every two videos (or the equivalent there in, like a newsbrief or something) there were 2-3 minutes of comercials.

In one hour, they played 7 videos, some of which were very short (Perserverance) and the rest was nothing but stuff you see on MTV Rock shows anyway. The only good bands I saw in one hour were Shadow's Fall (playing their horrible Destroyer of Senses) and Killswitch Engage, both of which MMUSA/Fuse latched onto a long time ago. Oh, and Powerman 5000, but few people seem to dig them like I do...

Verdict: It's an embarrassment to the original, a sham of a show, and nothing but a load of tripe aimed to cash in on nostalgia.

You want a decent heavy rock show, check out Uranium on MMUSA/Fuse. It's only a half hour, but they tend to at least forsake the same rock stuff they play on their other heavy/rock shows, so you at least see some OK stuff occasionally.

9. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I thought the behind the scenes show after HeadBanger's Ball was better than the actual show... I was cracking up at some of the stuff they were talking about...

P@

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    so...i suppose i didn't miss anything?

that kinda sucks. i was pretty stoked when i heard that it was coming back on. oh well, i could just break out the old ricky rachtman reruns.

11. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO

uhhhhh..... not really! :p

P@

12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Every Saturday night I turn to MTV2 for Headbanger's Ball. I don't stay around long -- I usually flip between the Ball, WWE Condifential and American Chopper, because the music they play can barely be classified as music, to say nothing of metal. The host has the personality of a dish towel and you could pump a tree sloth full of Nytol and it would still have more energy and personality than most of the guest hosts I've seen. Anyway, after the Ball is over, I turn right to VH1 Classic for an hour of classic metal videos. Last night's program featured Metallica's "For Whom The Bell Tolls," Twisted Sister's "The Price," Motley Crue's "Kick Start My Heart," Scorpions, Poison, Helix, Dokken and Dio. At one point, I made the comment that VH1 Classic is more Headbanger's Ball than Headbanger's Ball. By now, Bruce Lindfield is wondering about the point of this post. Well, here it is: Skip the Ball and check out VH1's Metal Classics. That is all.

13. Um. That's not metal...................
    It's embarrasing for any metal head when Poison, ect. is associated with that music type.

Metallica = Metal

Twisted Sister = HAIR BAND

You and VH1 need to get it right man. Half of those bands aren't metal at all. There is a thick, bold line between the two genres.

They should put those other bands on a new show called "VH1 classic Hair Bands". That'd be good!

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I second Brendans suggestion of watching Uranium on MuchMusic....that show is WAY better.

I was really excited to hear about the revival of HBB. After watching MTV hype it up a few times, I realized it would be nothing more than what it ended up being. I have not seen HBB2, and from what I can read here, I ain't gonna waste my time. BTW, anyone remember just recently when MTV very briefly had the station for rock music only? It's now hip hop <gag> <gag>

Oh well.....headbangers left out in the cold again in favour of MTVHipHop. :(

-Mike

15. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Gimme a friggin' break, Dee! I'll take the 80's hair metal over oh-three's nu-metal anyday. Yeah, Classic's gonna throw in a stinker now and then, just like MTV occasionally throws in a decent video.

You watch your phony, wannabe Headbanger's Ball, I'm stickin' with VH1 Classic and my memories of the original Ball.

;)

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Such as most of MTV's playlist circa 85-88. And some of the ones THEY wouldn't show :eek:

;)
    :D

17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Dude, you would be lucky to be out of diapers when the period those bands were in their prime, and on top of the charts. Just because they don't sound the same as the current industries take on "metal", doesn't mean everyone agrees with you. Back then, that was considered by most to be metal, and the term "hair metal" wasn't invented until quite some time later. I guess you had to be off the tit by then to understand it. I'll admit it, I miss the 80's music.

18. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    sadly i'd rather listen to the nu-metal crap of today than the hair metal crap of the past.

i guess that's just me.

19. well, just the fact that you and your woman even THOUGHT to watch headbanger's ball, and that said woman plays the drums... well, that just makes me WAY curious to want to get to know you guys someday.

so rare to find couples who get into music, much less play music.

consider my curiosity piqued!

meeks

20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Suit yourself, you have to realize that the "hair metal" was the popular music of the time, it was the thing then just like hip hop / rap is now. Back then, it was also a lot easier to book a live rock band, since people actually like it then. I like a little of the nu-metal, but I liked pretty much everything back then.