1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Headway preamp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Fredrik E. Nilsen, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Headway is coming out with a new EDB2 preamp in January. Separate EQ for each channel, and a few other improvements. Introduction price will be the same as the current model, GB £ 250. (Posted in a different thread, but may be of interest to others).

EDB-2 H.E Diagram_Page_1.jpg
    EDB-2 H.E Diagram_Page_2.jpg

2. rickwolff

rickwolff ..Gear & Tone Junkie.. My Ignorance is Bliss. Supporting Member

Beautiful.

3. LaFaro01

LaFaro01

Aug 27, 2018
    sounds not too bad..:) but without "real phantom power" to use condenser mics no alternative for me...:p

4. I probably should know this, but what do you mean when you say "real phantom power"?

5. LaFaro01

LaFaro01

Aug 27, 2018
    For (probably??) most Condenser Mics your 48 V Phantom Power to get them to work proper....

6. It says 48v phantom on the XLR?

7. LaFaro01

LaFaro01

Aug 27, 2018
    Ups...:facepalm: sorry.. I think, I've "overlooked" something... I just saw the "11 V Phantom Power" on the left side of the picture and supposed to remember the "old" Headway missing th 48 v.. it was my fault not to look accurate enough...:p

Fredrik E. Nilsen likes this.
  8. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Very nice, the older versions of the EDB-2 only provided 18volts to the XLR for Phantom the if you look closely this revision gives you the full 48.

9. LaFaro01

LaFaro01

Aug 27, 2018
    yes.. I've been to fast thinking they made the "same mistake a second time...":p

Ric Vice likes this.
  10. Good. I thought there was something I had misunderstood about phantom power. :)

11. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    What knobs do you twist to manipulate the blend? The two gain knobs at lower left? And the only way to adjust blend is to slather on signal gain? Probably missing something obvious...?

dhergert likes this.
  12. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    It's done via the gain knobs as you mentioned, so no blend knob per se. I think between the gain knobs and the master volume you can find the balance needed without too much issue, or at least i am able to on the current model of the preamp.

But keep in mind this is clean gain...it will never dirty up your tone by increasing the gain on this unit.

Ukiah Bass and Fredrik E. Nilsen like this.
  13. My thoughts too. I don't think this will be an issue.

14. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    There has never been a blend knob on either the EDB-1 or the EDB-2. The Channel Volumes feed directly into the Master volume through a single EQ section, so they we’re essentially a form of blend control but unless they are set at the output level the device with the higher output will override the other. However, the timbre of the device ii.e. microphone vs peizo pickup also tends to override the sound that is created.

IMG_2694.jpg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  15. Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Interesting .... so by depending on "timbre" for blend, the device presumes one input is a piezo pickup and the other a microphone. Seems weird but I guess it works since many of you use this. This does not seem useful for blending two microphones. I do this in a DAW where the blending is achieved by decreasing input volume of both mics (or even a third or fourth mic) to varying degrees. If it's tracked correctly, adding signal above 0dB is never required.

16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The "front panel" diagram shows phantom power is switchable (off, 11V, 48V). The unit uses an 18V power supply, so it must have a built in DC to DC inverter.

17. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    The Headway EDB-1 and EDB-2 both only supplied 18 volts to the phantom power and 12 volts to a TRS jack input on Channel 2. Since it opperates on 18v DC either from batteries or the powersupply, then yes
    there has to be an inverter to get the mic phantom up to 48v. That was a big complaint about the EDB-1&2. However, with the three different microphones I used with my EDB-2, none sounded compromised at 18 volts.
    it did raise the noise floor somewhat, but in a live performance that just dissappeared. if it was infact even audible. It worked very well with the Remic DB5400LB, the DPA 4099B, and the Xlson Chuck Israels.
    Even in a recorded example it didn't seem to be a significant issue.
    4099-specs_changes.jpg

Fredrik E. Nilsen and Wasnex like this.
  18. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Well,
    I’ve only used the EDB-2 to blend a pickup, with a microphone, which is primarily what the Headway was designed to do. Channel 1 only has a 1/4” phone jack, Channel 2 has the XLR two microphones would require a additional phantom power brick. I have one of the Radial Stage Bug 48v phantoms.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Ukiah Bass likes this.
  19. Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Any idea what dimensions are for the new EDB2?

20. From the looks I would guess it's the same size as the old, give or take a few millimeters. If you want it specific, try sales@headwaymusicaudio.com. They are always helpful.