1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New health fad: Raw Water

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by OldDog52, Jan 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Raw water trend slammed by food safety expert: 'You can't stop adults from being stupid'

A bizarre new trend has emerged in California's Silicon Valley, with people eager to buy large glass containers filled with unfiltered, unsterilized H20, billed as "raw water" by the company selling it for $36.99 (£27.21) for 2.5 gallons, and $14.99 for a refill.

The trend was discovered in San Francisco by The New York Times and prompted a response from food safety expert Bill Marler.

Marler told Business Insider: "Almost everything conceivable that can make you sick can be found in water."

He warns that because safe drinking water has become the norm, people are unaware of how dangerous natural, unclean and untreated water can be.

"The diseases that killed our great-grandparents were completely forgotten about," he said.

"It's fine until some 10-year-old girl dies a horrible death from cholera in Montecito, California."

Untreated water can lead to the spread of diseases like cholera, E. coli and Hepatitis A, which killed 20 in California during an outbreak last year. Giardia, another illness caused by unclean water, puts roughly 4,600 US people in hospital every year.

"You can't stop consenting adults from being stupid," Marler added. "But, we should at least try."

catcauphonic likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I drink raw water every day - but only from my own well.

kobass, BBox Bass, tlc1976 and 2 others like this.
  3. I drink a lot of water too but usually it's from the tap with a filter on it. I've even heard reports before that bottled water is not the best for you either. Thing is they are always saying "don't eat or drink this" and then a month or two later that same item is like the best thing on Earth...

tlc1976 and ghostinthemach like this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'll bet the powers that be will reign this in. You can't sell your eggs or wheat without tour operation passing all kinds of inspections. You can't bottle filtered water without having your facilities inspected for cleanliness. You can't sell pot in a clear package in CA for crap sake. Cops shut down lemonade stands in some towns because of lack of licensing and hygiene.

This will be shut down too.

Never mind that it's just stupid.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'm calling it: at some point before 2020, poop will be sold for consumption in some capacity. It'll be poop and it'll be marketed for health reasons.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    LOTS of stupid people with dollar bills hanging out of their pockets.

kobass, MJ5150 and ghostinthemach like this.
  7. It is already happening. There is a medical process called fecal microbiota transplant to treat people who have been treated with antibiotics to a point that their gut bacteria is killed off creating a serious health side effect of the antibiotics. The condition is called dysbiosis.

What is FMT? – The Fecal Transplant Foundation

The title of this link did not display properly when I pasted it but it is a site called thepowerofpoop.com that has information on the subject as well: You are being redirected...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  8. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT

ghostinthemach likes this.
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Tell you what. Bring any container you can carry to my house. I'll let you fill it from my hose (from my well) for $15. That's a bargain.

ICM likes this.
  10. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I shop at Rainbow Grocery mentioned in the article. It is a huge co-op the size of a supermarket. When I had a baker called "Sugar Me Not" I used to sell my products there.Never noticed the raw water there.
    When I use to hike in the wilderness I would bring a water filter for giardia. Even in pristine mountain streams there is bacteria. All it takes is one person with giardia peeing in the stream.
    San Francisco tap water comes from the Hetch Hetchy dam near Yosemite. It is pretty good for tap water but is still run my drinking water through a carbon block filter that I bought at ... drum roll please ... Rainbow Grocery.

ghostinthemach and GregC like this.
  11. Dogs drink out of toilets...what's the problem?

musicman666 likes this.
  12. slobake

They also eat their own droppings, not in a hurry to do either. Besides I don't want the mess with the guy in the little boat in my toilet.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  13. You and I are two of the biggest "poop" dispensers on TB. :roflmao:
    Perhaps we should join forces and be ready for the next big thing. :poop:

Along the lines of weird human consumption...
    I see these things in the store labeled "Paleo" which apparently are something that mimics the diet of cavemen?
    It seems that one would also have to live the "Paleo" lifestyle to benefit from the diet.
    I think Ogg, Gurk and the rest of the gang burned way more calories just trying to survive than any of us, with few exceptions, could possibly burn. Besides, the packets of Palio stuff look like :vomit:.

Best part is that the last time I saw this stuff they also had Paleo cookies.
    Did they have Girls Scouts way back then selling Paleo Thin Mints?
    Was there real sand in the Paleo Pecan Sandies?
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

14. There's a guy in a little boat in your toilet?

joebar, MJ5150 and Oddly like this.
  15. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan

Yup---remember "powdered alcohol"? They jumped all over that like it was free beer.......

two fingers likes this.
  16. You've gotta be kidding me...

Here's a little tip, to save some money, go to a puddle or a lake, bring a straw and slurp it up!

Although what I will say is that this is a genius business plan to capitalize on people who have money to burn and want to be "all natural"...until the lawsuits roll in.

17. InZeroGravity

InZeroGravity

Nov 4, 2017
    It's effective for detox, cleanser and weight reduction. Giardia, diptheria, cholera, E.Coli will clean you right out for a good long time

Jim Nazium, tlc1976, GregC and 3 others like this.
  18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I need to drop about 4 pounds. Can I get a jug of the mild three-day diahreah blend?

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

InZeroGravity and ONYX like this.
  19. slobake

ty-d-bowl-man.

kobass, tlc1976, GregC and 2 others like this.