1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Heir's and Kingston's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jkritchey, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Noaita

Noaita

Jun 6, 2003
    Shameless booster guy.
    Hello,

THG Knobs (that's me) can certainly do up some truss covers. Matter of fact, I have orders for a few right now. If you're interested, let me know what you are looking for.

Roger
    THG

:smug:

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Sweet. If I do end up buying one of the new Heirs, I'll probably be interested in getting one of these made. :)

3. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Forte Collector - not done yet Supporting Member

Oh you mean this bass?? (see attachments) :D
    I bought that one at the NAMM show from Mike Tobias......the new Kingston 5's are GREAT basses. So much for the "one trick pony" comments that I have seen around TB regarding the Kingstons in the past.

4. Of the three on the MTD website, two are now owned by TB'ers. I bought the Heir 5 in sunburst/maple from bassnw. Apparently they got the red and sunburst ones from NAAM. I e-mailed Mike and he confirmed that mine was the NAAM bass from his website. My first impressions are: great fit and finish, action and neck feel. I'm still getting used to the preamp. I'm having trouble finding the right EQ settings that sound good to my ear. A great bass and a deal at $699.

5. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I'd be all over an ash Kingston 6. . . the cherry color please.

6. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Sounds like at that price, if you were to drop in a different preamp, say an Aguilar OBP-3 or Bart NTMB, and put on a Gotoh bridge (isn't that what's on the USA models?) you'd have a pretty nice bass for $900.

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Or you could buy the passive version for even less and install a preamp into it. :) Though it'd be slightly more difficult, and you'd probably end up needing to drill a few extra holes for the EQ.

I wonder how the Kingston/Heir preamps compare to the Aguilars and Barts.

8. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City

True. .

Is a passive model still available? A passive model with the ash body, nice top and no pickguard would be nice, then you could add whatever you want.

I'm guessing the electronics are probably very similar to (if not the same as) the Korean-made Barts used in the Lakland 55-01. Most people prefer the USA-made Barts in the 55-02, although there are people that prefer the tone of the 55-01.

9. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i heard about it in a review. how much of a difference does it make, sound wise?

10. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    That's a good question... I'm not really sure whether they'll still be around. I think an optional active/passive switch on the new ones would be a nice addition, though it's probably too late for that change to be made to the design. I could always do it myself if I felt the need, I suppose. :)

11. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Please pardon me, I've really got to get rid of this gas! :D

12. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    A zero fret will make an open string note sound as close as possible to a fretted note.

It also does away with setup problems resulting from a nut that is cut too deep or too shallow.

13. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    6 string please!!!!

14. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, a 6-string version would be really cool. Not sure if I would get it though, I've never owned a 6-string bass before and my playing experience with them is pretty limited.

On an unrelated note... I've always wondered why the Kingston/Heir 5's use a 4+1 headstock instead of a 2+3 like the USA MTDs. IMO, they'd look better with either a 2+3 or 3+2 headstock configuration. Though I suppose the 4+1 doesn't look that bad. :)

I wonder what the sixers would have... probably a 4+2 eh?

15. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Me either, that's why I want a 6.

Since the body shapes of the USA and Korea basses are already similar, there needs to be something to keep them dissimilar. Many people would be upset if their 535 looked just like an Heir. I'd also think that there is a slight advantage to the 2 + 3, since the B is a little further from the nut/zero fret.