1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New here with a GK 700RBII question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GhostofCain, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Hey guys I've kind lurked around for a while and finally decided to register and participate. I've been playing bass on and off for about 17 years, and i've been gigging for about 2. Mostly Hard Rock and Metal.

For around the past 2 years i've been playing through a GK 700RBII going through and GK Backline 4x10 sealed cab. I've always wanted to upgrade to something more diverse with a horn and possibly ported ,to get more low end and dirty tones. So the other day I was in guitar center with my brother who was just buying a book real quick. I saw this Fender Bassman 410 cab with a horn for $149.00 in near mint condition. I think it was on clearance. I tried it out and played with the horn control to make sure everything worked. This was what i've been keeping my eyes open for. The price was perfect and it has that real quality feel and look to it. I had to have it, so now i do. I later found out that list for this cab is $699.00.

Anyway I notice it has a "Speakon" input. I've already ordered a 4 pin speakon cable off eBay. My question is, can I use the Bi Amp controls on the GK head with this cab? Do I have to make any mods to the cable and if I do, how? Thanks for any help -Mike

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Good deal on the fender cab. I'm sure it will sound like a big improvement from the BL cab. As to the speakon question, I doubt the Fender cab is wired like GK cabs, for biamping. But shouldn't be too big a deal to re-wire it, so it can. Good luck.

3. To answer you question no you can't use a GK speakon cable on anything else besides a GK cab.

4. What about a generic speakon 4 pin cable modified? Or does the cab need to be rewired?

5. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I am sorry but that is wrong!! I have been running a GK speakon cable with my SWR Goliath's for a few years now and it works fine!!!...1+ and 1- of the cable run the Low and and the 2+ and 2- just dont run anything on my swr cabs cause there is no 2+ and 2- pins in the speakon jacks of the SWR cabs or is there is they are not wired to anything....So it is like they are not there...I could rewire my cab if i wanted to to make them work with the horn but i just use the passive horn control on the cab and i dont use it that much anyways!!... Now That being said You can Not and should not under Any and i mean And Circumstance use a 4 connecting Speakon cable That Says BRIDGED On it Cause you Will Fry Your amp Like McDonald's Fries!!! But as Long as the 4 connecting speakon cable is a stander 1+ 1- and 2+ 2- you will be just fine... Gk is not the only people that make and use that typ of cord!! I have 2 one that is GK and One That isnt and they both work Fine!!! Best Of Luck Mate!!!;)

6. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I'll further qualify what RickenBoogie and Breslin dp have said, you can't use the GK bi-amp feature with any cabs other than the GK Neo, RBH, and RBX series of cabinets. That being said, it may not be necessary to use the bi-amp feature or spend time to source the crossover to use in the cab that you have. Try running it full-range and see if you like the sound coming out of it. Chances are, if you don't, you probably won't like it much better if you did rewire it to be bi-amp.

7. Thanks for the replies everyone. So canadian*eh, what you're saying is, the 4 pin cord will work fine but there is no way for me use the bi-amp feature on the Fender cab?

8. We must have posted at the same time. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

9. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Yeah it will work great!!! You just wont have any horn control from your amp is all...Like other have said you could make it work if you rewired your cab....but personally it is a big pain in the Butt and i have never needed to...The passive Horn control works and just sounds fine ...so to me why fix it if it aint Broke? Cheers Mate!!

10. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    LOL I see that i did the same thing by posting at the same time...To funny!!! :p

11. Thanks again guys. I'm glad my $15. cable purchase won't go to waste.

12. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Yeah No Worries Mate....Just make sure it is Not a Cable Marked Bridged.. Other wise you will have that whole French fry thing which would not be good...lol.other then that you are Good to Go!!!

13. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    No problem. :)
    I used to own a 700RB-II. It was a great amp that I probably should have been happy with instead of moving to the 2001RB, then an Ampeg 4-Pro, and finally to a LM-II. I still run my LM-II with the GK Neo 2x12's in full range mode that I used with my 700RB-II in bi-amp mode. :D

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Spot on, IMO - I also use a 700rb-II, mostly with a Mesa PH610... I *thought* I wanted to rewire my cab to use the amp's bi-amp feature, but after looking into it, decided to use a 2 conductor speakon(wired +1,-1), and stick with the cab's factory X-over and L-pad for horn control... I was told that the cab *probably* has a more appropriate X-over frequency, and that's probably true - so, running a full range signal out of my amp and using the cab's built-in controls have made the most sense for me, instead of re-wiring my cab for bi-amp operation...

- georgestrings

15. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    yes easy n quick to do to any cab,if it already has 4 pole speakon connect will not cost you anything but a half hour of your time. remove cabs crossover,wire 4 pole speakon +1,-1 to driver +2,-2 to tweeter. i,ve done to peavey and avatar cabs and will work on any cab. nice to control the tweeter from the head instead of a knob on back of cab.

16. Is it safe to say that using a speakon cable is better much than using regular speaker cable? Or just marginal at best? And rptrsn2, i'll have to take a closer look at the input.

17. This is correct. :) The advantage to doing this is the boost contol is bypassed to the G-K's horn amp. So if you like to dial in some grind or grit the horn's signal stays clean. Just unhook the crossover in case you sell the cab later, you can wire back to original! ;)

18. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Yeah Speakon Cables IMHO Are way better then a normal 1/4 plug in!!! For one thing you cant pull them out adjacently and for another you are getting a lot more direct and better contacted with The + and - polls coming from your amp!!...If you have the choice and option of Using Speakon Then by all means do it you get a hotter signal....It is Just a No Brainer IMO!!!:p

19. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I'll also add that having the horn control on the front of the head is a heck of a lot more fun than crawling back behind the cabinet when adjustments are needed.

20. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    another benefit that i don,t know is true on all cabs but on an avatar you can not turn the horn completely off without burning up the crossover, with the mod tahts no longer a concern